Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Well lookey here

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Well lookey here

My initial Patent application and Patent Pendins IS a centrifugal design, as well as a screw type and vane type (like the old Judson) The screw type, while more efficient. is a LOT more expensive, and the failure rate on them is MUCH higher because of the internal compression. AutoRotor is the Swedish company who makes the Whipple--although Eaton is now producing them under license--But the tolerances on a screw type are .010" rotor clearance while it is .020" on an Eaton. If the unit gets hot the rotors touch and gall. I repaired a TON of Whipples on the GM BBC trucks during the mid 90's as the dealers were installing them on many of the SS 454 models. As for the obstruction, we have a by-pass blow-off valve that has a 2" butterly/valve. The rotors turn a little at WOT from the airflow, but during normal driving you never know the EL-SC is on there. I originally had the centrifugal type unit on my Avenger and it made EXACTLY the same boost and hp as the Eaton type, but belt failure and ceramic bearing failure were a real source of aggravation. I found that over 8-9 psi the centrifugal unit is better, but not by much. The thermal efficiency of the roots type is slightly better than a centrifugal at 5 psi, and very good up to 6.5 psi. The centrifugal unit takes the same hp to turn it, but is much more efficient at 9+ psi. The two main problems are: 1--Warranty on the supercharger, and 2--Most stock engines are not safe at anything over 6 psi. I had replaced the centrifugal unit's belt five times in a month on my Avenger and had a spare Eaton sitting here at my shop. I adapted my drive transmission to the Eaton. It has been trouble free for two years. Which would you offer to the public? :-)
Old 10-03-2003, 06:45 PM
Teching In

JUST FOR THE CURIOUS WHO SAW MY ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGER A FEW MONTHS BACK, THE JAN,2004 TURBO MAGAZINE AS WELL AS FEB, 2004 SPORT COMPACT HAVE FULL PAGE ADS IN THEM. TURBO MAGAZINE IS DOING A FIVE PAGE ARETICLE ON MY INVENTION IN THE SPRING AND THE DYNO RUNS WE NOW HAVE SHOW THIS ESC-400 MODEL TO BE BETTER THAN EXPECTED. I HAVE PRODUCED OVER 23 PSI BOOST, AND HAVE SEEN A 3.5 V6 JUMP FROM 168 FT/LB TO 245 FT/LB AT ONLY 5 PSI BOOST. WE HAVE TESTED ONE ON A 4.6 V8 WITH PROMISING RESULTS AS MY MOTOR SUPPIER HAS BEEN ABLE TO RAISE MOTOR OUTPUT TO 10.2 HP PER MOTOR (THREE MOTORS) FOR A TOTAL OF 31 HP. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO VISIT MY WEBSITE AT BOOSTHEAD.COM TO VIEW SOME ADDITIONAL INFO AND DATA. HIGH BOOST ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGERS ARE HERE, AND WILL REVOLUTIONIZE IMPORT DRAG RACING AND EVENTUALLY DOMESTIC CARS AND TRUCKS. MY SON'S RANGER 4-CYL IS GETTING ONE THIS WEEK SO WE WILL HAVE A FEW TRUCKS WITH THEM.
THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT,
GEOFF KNIGHT--ATSTURBO@AOL.COM
Old 10-03-2003, 08:05 PM
Truck addict

damn, i thought this was a dead issue like forever ago. i think the recharge time kills it for everyone. but thats mho!

Quick Reply: Well lookey here