Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Silverado LSX 376 swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado LSX 376 swap

So i believe that i have settled on a motor to swap out my 2000 silverado 5.3 for. This motor seems to be exactly what i am looking for. I have searched long and hard on many forums and have yet to see the answers for which i seek. The power is there without pushing to motor too hard, which should add to reliablity, and it is ready for supercharger if i ever decided to go that route. This will be a daily driver so im not looking to push any more HP out of it, im just looking for a good running motor that will tow my boat and other things with less effort. My questions are as follows.

What areas of challenge would you guys see in this swap. I understand the drivetrain issues and will address them, im talking on just getting the motor in and running using all the stock electrical plug ins, accessorys, ect. From the forums i understand that i will have to get a converter for the crank sensor, PCM tune.

Intake that will bolt to this motor that will provide good torque and provide the needed plug in for the PCM. MAP, MAF, Injectors, ect. I did see an forum where there was a Victory Jr bolted to this motor with an adapter that accepted what looked to be the stock throttle plate, no matter how i searched i have not found this adapter.

Coolant line hook ups. Seems from the pic that there are some differences, have not seen one in person, what challenges can you guys see.

Thank you guys for all your knowledge and help.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is my opinion. But that is ALOT of money to spend on a motor when a junkyard lq9 6.0 with a cam can make as much power and be just as reliable. It says 5,400$ for that long block. When you could get a 6.0 for 600$-1200$ (very rough). But if your set on that motor go for it. Not many people I have heard run that motor.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the FAST lsxrt intake has shown some good results, but is $$$. many people use a stock 90mm trailblazer ss intake. as far as the victor jr., you can run an elbow and put just about any throttlebody of your choice on there. i know you are going to use your truck for towing,etc, but what are your power goals? or do you have any? if you are budget minded, you can build a 370ci motor or a 6.0 with a torquey cam and matching heads for a lot less coin.

welcome to the forum, btw.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd save a few thousand dollars and do a cammed 6.0 with a ~3000 converter and 3.73s. That should provide more than enough power and still get somewhat decent mileage.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the welcome! Yea i have been tossing around stroking a 6.0 with a cam ect for the power but it seems that the 6.0 is hard to find in my area. Junk yards are getting 1500+ for a used 6.0 then you have machine shop costs as well as the costs of the parts. Maybe a cost efficient option but when i saw the LSX 376 i Have to admit that the 50k 2 year warrenty is very appealing also. I have friends at the dealer and they gave me a 5.3 that was locked up so i was going to turn it into a 5.7 till i tore it down and found that it had taken a chunk out of one of the bore skirts

I'm looking at staying on a budget of 6k. Might be cheaper to go the 6.0 route with aftermarket heads, cam, springs, keepers and have the pcm tuned. Is there anyone that has build a 6.0 of this nature? If so how does it perform?

Thanks again for all of your time.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't have to get the 6.0 rebuilt. Do some shopping online and have a low mileage motor shipped to you (hopefully with some sort of warranty). Check it out pretty well and do some easy mods to it while it's out (cam, bolt ons, etc).

IMO, any kind of building or rebuilding of LS motors is a risk. I've seen guys on here spend thousands of dollars on motors rebuilt by professionals (I guess...), only to have them spin a bearing or break a piston. You'd be much better off just buying the engine and running it. You'll be saving the money and hassle of rebuilding it and can keep that money set aside just in case the motor doesn't last long.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

hell, you could buy a used 6.0 AND a used tvs for under $6k....
Old 05-20-2011, 04:17 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
You don't have to get the 6.0 rebuilt. Do some shopping online and have a low mileage motor shipped to you (hopefully with some sort of warranty). Check it out pretty well and do some easy mods to it while it's out (cam, bolt ons, etc).

IMO, any kind of building or rebuilding of LS motors is a risk. I've seen guys on here spend thousands of dollars on motors rebuilt by professionals (I guess...), only to have them spin a bearing or break a piston. You'd be much better off just buying the engine and running it. You'll be saving the money and hassle of rebuilding it and can keep that money set aside just in case the motor doesn't last long.
AMEN BRUTHA!

I know im scared after seeing all the money thrown away on stroker builds when my basicly stock junkyard LQ4 with blower/cam bolt ons makes 600 horse at the crank.

Stock long blocks are the way to go man! They last and just make insane power.

Originally Posted by LS1TRUCKGUY
hell, you could buy a used 6.0 AND a used tvs for under $6k....
Hell yeah i agree.

I would like to have that 376 but for the money its a no brainer to buy a low mile 6.0
Old 05-20-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
You don't have

I am curious of how my build would have went if I had not used a reground cam...which you warned me about. Oh well, I almost have it back together again.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by toya0425
Thanks for the welcome! Yea i have been tossing around stroking a 6.0 with a cam ect for the power but it seems that the 6.0 is hard to find in my area. Junk yards are getting 1500+ for a used 6.0 then you have machine shop costs as well as the costs of the parts. Maybe a cost efficient option but when i saw the LSX 376 i Have to admit that the 50k 2 year warrenty is very appealing also. I have friends at the dealer and they gave me a 5.3 that was locked up so i was going to turn it into a 5.7 till i tore it down and found that it had taken a chunk out of one of the bore skirts

I'm looking at staying on a budget of 6k. Might be cheaper to go the 6.0 route with aftermarket heads, cam, springs, keepers and have the pcm tuned. Is there anyone that has build a 6.0 of this nature? If so how does it perform?

Thanks again for all of your time.
I would go with the 376, peace of mind you get with a brand new engine with warranty is priceless.

Quick Reply: Silverado LSX 376 swap