GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

poor mans intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Dude. Your signature is corvetteforum huge."
whats that mean??
im still trying to figure some stuff out.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok here are my opinions on this being an engineering student...take them as you like...first I would build it as 2 cylinders. second, You want to keep the water in there as long as possible, as long as there is ice in the water the water will remain ~32*F, I would take when your build your first cylinder and run tubes across it that will fill up with water. it will be a bit of a airflow restriction, but it will cool the air more, just make the cylnder bigger to accomodate more air. if you have any containers of compressed air(paintball gun tanks), set them up with the Nitrous solenoid to spray on the can, it will cool the can and the air, maybe a third layer...remember surface area is the name of the game...the more air you can get to touch those pipes with cold water, the more the air will cool...also try some sort of spigite(sp) to drain the water..or a nitrous fuel solenoid..there is a guy selling them on LS1tech for $35, but I would say you want to leave the water in there as long as possible....I would also build the thing so it is easy to take out and put in your freezer but I wouldnt put liquid in it in the freezer...as far as condensation goes, you probably wont get enough to hurt your enginer, in fact it will probably just be enough to give a slight octane boost, and steam clean your exhaust valves
Go for it, put that good American Enginuity to work
Old 09-21-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the input Injected1.
i was thinking bout puttin some kindof tubining in the Cylinder(s) i call it pipe.
but not sure of what kindof tubing? something that can be welded? but thin.
i was goin to use the NOS or FUEL solenoid so i could drain it when i wanted to but the tiny hole sounded good until i though bout the water coming out and not completely covering the pipe. so no tiny hole in the bottom. the solenoid would work better.
what are you saying about the CO2 bottles?? didnt understand that.
good idea bout the freezer.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

use a CO2 sprayer to cool the water more as it warms up, using PV=nrT, as a gas expands the temperature decreases. (part of why nitrous is so cold) basically, I am trying to give tips on how to keep the water as cold as possible. I would use copper tubing, you can get it from ace hardware, its pretty cheap, and copper has good heat properties (cools down really fast and can be welded easily). I dunno how well this idea will work, but I think you will notice throttle response more than hp
Old 09-21-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
"Dude. Your signature is corvetteforum huge."
whats that mean??
im still trying to figure some stuff out.
No problem. I could have been a little more specific.

www.corvetteforum.com has a lot of members with signatures that are very big. It makes it kinda hard to navigate a thread when most of the thread is signatures and not actual content posted.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

thanks injected.
i couldnt figure out what you were saying bout the CO2 bottle but i got ya now.
i might start on it this weekend? with this hurricane maybe hittin TX, i might just stay home? dang gas might be in short supply and sky rocket. i have already spent over $200 on 89oct today. if things dont turn out too bad ill start on it ASAP. im goin to "dry" fit it first to make sure i have enough room. then start welding and such.

how would you suggest on gettin all the air that passes through the tow hook opening, into a hose or tubing? so none passes by the end of the hose?

im goin to try to get both tow hook openings run into one then into the "ICEBOX" then up into the airbox...
hey if it doesnt work ill have a really tuff cooler for my 4wheeler??

i kindof figured that fandango? ill compact it! its starting to get on my nerves also. have to scroll to far.

Later guys thanks for the input!
and thanks for not throwing it back in my face!
Old 09-22-2005, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the tow hool question is a good one. I would have to crawl under my truck and take a good look. If you attach it directly to the airbox you will have the vaccum to draw the air in. Else, if your going for cheap you could use the box pipe stuff they use on rain gutter downspouts. Seal it up with a foam or rubber gasket.