FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Stock 5.3 turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock 5.3 turbo?

Hello everyone I'm new to this site. I have a 2002 Silverado 5.3 4wd, I've been thinking about turboing it. I don't know anything about turbos or anything. The motor is stock, I don't have no dyno around me and I don't know how to tune it for a turbo if it gets installed. I've done some research an stuff an I kno I need turbo, bigger injectors? Intercooler? Do I need bigger fuel pump or just an extra one inline with the factory one? I know this question has been asked many many times but can someone help an point me in the right direction? Thank u all for any help
Old 09-27-2015, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

first thing how much of power u would ?
second you want cheap kit or high quality ?

to get high power with stock bottom
you need heads 6.0 some body go with 5.3 heads ported
injectors 80lb , dual fuel pump aeromotive , walbro 450 kph or bosch 044
and regulator .

also you need camshaft package ,stud heads , gasket
after you finish the engine you must see your tranny its need converter or rebuild
last thing will install you turbo kit it will be your choice twin turbo or single turbo

i have silverado with this setup its made 550hp on 7psi pump gas 93 with out meth/water injection tomorrow I'm looking to tuning it with meth and go more boost 14psi
Old 09-28-2015, 11:32 AM
Teching In

See I didn't kno if the motor would handle boost the way it sits now or not? I was hoping I could get by with not the cheapest of kits but not the most expensive either. My truck is 4wd with 35s and I'm looking to gain more power since its lifted. I'd love to turbo it but I'm clueless about them. I'd like to go twin turbo but for that I'm sure I'd need to get into the motor ( which I'm trying to stay out of) is there anyway I can get a it with a turbo and not have to change heads or the cam an stuff?
Old 09-28-2015, 07:51 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by $A_Money$81
See I didn't kno if the motor would handle boost the way it sits now or not? I was hoping I could get by with not the cheapest of kits but not the most expensive either. My truck is 4wd with 35s and I'm looking to gain more power since its lifted. I'd love to turbo it but I'm clueless about them. I'd like to go twin turbo but for that I'm sure I'd need to get into the motor ( which I'm trying to stay out of) is there anyway I can get a it with a turbo and not have to change heads or the cam an stuff?
Yes just limits how much boost you can run.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:24 AM
Teching In

How much boost can I run with a stock motor? I've been thinking about runnin a 76mm turbo. Is that to much? Or if I could run twin turbos that would be great also, but with twins I don't kno what size to go with or what wastegate or blow-off valve to go with. I know id like to run them through an intercooler for sure but I'm clueless bout how to get the extra fuel an stuff
Old 09-29-2015, 05:45 AM
Truck Sponsor

Originally Posted by $A_Money$81
How much boost can I run with a stock motor? I've been thinking about runnin a 76mm turbo. Is that to much? Or if I could run twin turbos that would be great also, but with twins I don't kno what size to go with or what wastegate or blow-off valve to go with. I know id like to run them through an intercooler for sure but I'm clueless bout how to get the extra fuel an stuff
2 reasons for twins.
Lots of power. Or like the look.
Bring your first turbo wanting to stay stock engine few mods.
Do a single kit. Stock 5.3 a 76 is ok but the 70 or 72 is a better choice.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:29 AM
Teching In

So ur saying not to do twins since I'm tryin to not to do many engine mods? An how much power will a 5.3 make with a 70mm 72mm or 76mm turbo? Where do I start with it all? I mean where do I need to start with the project?
Old 09-29-2015, 06:57 AM
Truck Sponsor

There are lots of build threads on this forum.
find as complete kit as you want read what others are doing.
What problems and success they have had.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:34 AM
Teching In

So it's best to buy as a kit? With turbo intercooler bov and wastegate?
Old 09-29-2015, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

check out my build threads. I have a bone stock 5.3 with trick stage 2 kit and make 500 wheel hp.

I have proven this is the perfect setup for stock motors and for people that want decent power without losing drive-ability. Over 60k miles of boosted power and the kit has been flawless since the day I installed it.
The following users liked this post:
Bigred453 (06-23-2021)

Quick Reply: Stock 5.3 turbo?