Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Low Coolant light

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 05:10 PM
apple bottom jeans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Coolant light

My low coolant light came on today. Going to let it sit tonight and see if theres any puddles under it. I don't want to drive it but I'm probably going to have to this weekend.

I'm a newb when it comes to under the hood stuff so I just need to know what kind of coolant I should put in..and I assume I'm going to be filling it in the radiator?

I googled it, but couldn't find what type to use. It's a 02 sierra, with 128K miles on it so I imagine stuff is getting old...and I've never done any coolant on it since I've had it (05) so I'm assuming it's just evaporating or something. Maybe water pump?

Anyways...I'm just going to fill it(should I fill it after it's been sitting for a while?) and see if the light comes on again, and keep an eye on the temperatures.

Thanks dewds.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:13 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your truck takes DexCool from the factory...coolant could be leaking from multiple places but the water pump gaskets are the most common
Old 04-06-2010, 05:17 PM
apple bottom jeans

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Your truck takes DexCool from the factory...coolant could be leaking from multiple places but the water pump gaskets are the most common
So I can buy dexcool at autoparts stores...and ballpark, how hard/much is it to swap the gaskets?

Thanks for the quick answer
Old 04-06-2010, 05:20 PM
something else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had that light come on a few times after a hard U turn. The coolant tank was still full and it was/is okay just turn the truck off and restart it and it should be fine. Check your oil just to make sure it's not milky oil.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:22 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, you can get DexCool anywhere...waterpump gaskets are an easy fix IMO, hardest part is getting the fan off (if you haven't already gone to e-fans). The gaskets are cheap, like 8 bux each...I'd crawl under there with a flashlight and look for signs of leaks. If you see stains or coolant coming from the weep hole of the water pump. you need the whole pump, if that area's dry but there's coolant down at the front of the oil pan, it's more than likely just the gaskets. Of course it would be best to pressure test the system and look for leaks, but I understand that not everybody has a cooling system pressure tester in their pocket lol.

RJ brought up a good point...if the reservoir is full, the sender may just be stuck or faulty.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:33 PM
apple bottom jeans

Looks like I'll be scoping the ground tomorrow for leaks. I'm not doing the work..I'm a computer programmer, I don't get my hands dirty lol...

Plus I'd break it. If it is the pump leaking, would it be fine if I just made sure it was topped up until I can get it to a garage?

Thanks for the input, you guys rock
Old 04-06-2010, 05:38 PM
something else

Just run it again and if the light doesn't come on your fine.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Because of the skid plates and splash sheilds under most of the trucks you don't often see a water pump leak by looking at the ground for a drip. A sure sign is coolant will usually collect on the wire loom at the front of the oil pan. Expect to pay 500-700 if GM parts are used at a GM dealer, it's a lifetime warranty parts and labor if replaced at a dealer so take that into consideration since you dont work on your own stuff.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just keep filling it with coolant for now IMO...I did that with my old truck for about two years. Kept some coolant in the tool box and never had a problems. Make sure where the leak is first before you start buying parts. I just waited until I was ready to swap cams.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can't add much to what others said, but a few things. Fill is no longer thru rad, it's done thru overflow on Rt (pass) fender. I fixed mine before any low coolant light came on. Mine would leave a spot on ground, nothing outta weep hole, & would evaporate so fast, it made finding it a bit hard. But if it sits even a little after driving it, while spot may be on ground, source of leak evaporated on truck before I'd slid under to look. Soon as I got home 1 day, while it was still hot, I slid under w/. my flashlight. These were prices here, to give an idea. Gaskets ~$12 for the pr (u need 2). Water Pump ~$310. But, even if you're not doin the work, just needs proper diagnosis. Otherwise, u just paid ~$300 additional for a pump that may not (or may) have been bad. Water pump gaskets very common & were all I needed. I'd change that Dexcool out w/. that many miles, IMO.

Quick Reply: Low Coolant light