Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

high current fan relays

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 07:29 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default high current fan relays

i have the 05 truck fans in my 04 tahoe with the ls1 harness by nelson (i think) but the a/c fan keeps burning out relays. i've been thinking about getting the factory harness for them but i found this.
would these work?
http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10101
Old 07-02-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't know about those.. but I can tell you that bosch (tyco) make some of the best relays.

get in contact with DLH2006. he makes efan harnesses.. hooked right up no probs..
Old 07-02-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a heavy truck parts dealer around you, Freightliner, Kenworth International... You can get those 70 and 80 amp relays there. Usually Hella or Tyco.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
i don't know about those.. but I can tell you that bosch (tyco) make some of the best relays.

get in contact with DLH2006. he makes efan harnesses.. hooked right up no probs..

Thanks man.

Thats why i only use Bosch (Tyco) Relays. They are a little more expensive but i have yet to have one fail.

The ac signal wire is just a trigger source for the relays so the AC shouldnt pop relays.

If you would like to try the Bosch relays i would be more than happy to sell you some.

Derek
Old 07-02-2007, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the factory 05 harness on mine and it works like a champ. It only has two trigger wires one for low speed and one for high speed. The AC pressure triggers the ECM and turns the fans on when the AC is on. No seperate relay to trigger the fans. I have heard of others having problems with dimming lights also but I have had no issues at all. PCM for less "Alvin" did my tune for the fans. I cant tell you exactly how the tunining is set up but I can say it works. The only down fall is the factory harness was not cheap.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:57 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by DLH2006
Thanks man.

Thats why i only use Bosch (Tyco) Relays. They are a little more expensive but i have yet to have one fail.

The ac signal wire is just a trigger source for the relays so the AC shouldnt pop relays.

If you would like to try the Bosch relays i would be more than happy to sell you some.

Derek
correct its not the a/c blowing them. when the a/c kicks on it turns the relay on which powers the fan. the ramp up current is what blows them. being that the a/c cycles (somtimes alot) the fans are off and back on alot and the weak relays can't hold it. so i was going to just get the factory harness and wire it in and hope that hptuners gives me the ability to adjust for the a/c pressure to kick the fan on.
but it may be cheaper to use one of the other relay like you have. shoot me a pm for a price.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you might have a bad connection somewhere
Old 07-02-2007, 09:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

PM sent!
Old 07-02-2007, 10:21 PM
12 Second Truck Club

i checked the connections, then i checked them again. it was doing the same thing to the guy i bought it from. he told me about it. so i went to work (p-3c electrician) and got some new connectors and put them on then reassemble the whole harness. one of the plastic things that hold the relay was a little shoty so i use pliers to make sure it was on all the way. it worked fine up in maine with the a/c on but soon as i got to arkansas here it was hella hot it went out. so i put another one in and it lasted a long time. my wife has a habbit of sitting with the a/c on so it gets a work out.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where do you have your grounds going to? How big are your primary wires?

Quick Reply: high current fan relays