Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Change Engine Oil Message

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change Engine Oil Message

So on Friday I was cruisin around and after one of the startups the message center on the dash read "change engine oil". I'm still about 1000 miles from the recommended change for oil, but went ahead and got an oil change today, to make sure that it'd be alright. Problem is, the message still comes on after the change, so I imagine something just can't be quite right.

If it's any relation, yesterday (Saturday) I was driving around and I got an "engine coolant hot" message and my temp had soared up to around 240 for a brief period so I pulled over and checked my coolant which was a bit low. Poured some water in the tank and it has run fine since. Also the guy at the oil/lube place poured in some more coolant and gave me the rest of the gallon just in case something else happened.

Any ideas on why the engine oil message would keep bugging me? Truck seems to be running smoothly...

only mods are cutouts, cat delete, magnaflow catback and modded airbox/ intake tube
Old 04-10-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

D, do this. Go out, turn key but do not start. Rapidly, like say 5x, hit gas pedal inside 10sec / or maybe it's 15 sec. It'll reset.

Then start it up, it should say 100% or reset on DIC, whichever it is, u should be good to go. They did put oil in I hope.

That oil change monitor is load & RPM based IIRC. My guess is they forgot to reset it.

Coolant issue - any leaks, say rad or water pump gaskets?

Truck mileage?
Old 04-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Where's the Beef?

It don't know you changed the oil. The message just trips on after so many miles after being reset.
To reset the message turn the key to ON position and hit the gas pedal to the floor 3 times.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fastnblu
D, do this. Go out, turn key but do not start. Rapidly, like say 5x, his gas pedal inside 10 or maybe it's 15 sec. It'll reset.

Then start it up, it should say 100% or reset, whichever it is, u should be good to go. They did put oil in I hope.

Coolant issue - any leaks, say rad or water pump gaskets?

Truck mileage?

Alright I'll try the pedal thing Didn't know thats how it learns to reset.

Nope, the guy under there changing the oil said there weren't any signs of leaks anywhere and I haven't left any spots where I've parked since it happened, so I guess it just got to the point where it needed more.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just went outside and did it and the message now reads "Oil Life Reset"

Hopefully that message won't come on for eternity now
I'm assuming that message goes away after a bit of driving and then starting up again
Old 04-10-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

3x or 5x, I knew it was in range. And yes, mesage goes away.

Oh ya, coolant overflow or recovery bottle, are u watchin or monitoring it? Should be a fill mark on the side cold fill level. Cause that's 1 way of knowing if coolant loss is an issue. Or in a cold climate, heat output is as strong.

If w/pump gaskets are faulty, it'll evaporate really fast. As soon as u shut her down, look on concrete, right under w/pump. Super hard to notice unless u know what you're lookin for. You'll see a drop on paper towel, cardboard, or put 1 of those items on ground. Paper towel might have DexCool on it then if faulty.

A bright flashlight or touching w/. fingers may find if there's an issue w/. water pump gaskets or other leaks. They can be hard to track down tho, assumin u do or don't have an ongoin leak. Monitor the recovery bottle over a little time to verify. My .02.

Last edited by fastnblu; 04-10-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I checked this morning, and it appeared to be just as full as I had filled it when I had to pull over. Naturally a little was taken from that to fill in the void left from not having enough, but it was only a mm at the most. The guy poured in some actual coolant this morning and he got quite a bit more in there by pouring, then waiting a couple seconds etc, but he know's what he's doing to get it filled all the way up

The only dripping I've really had is from under the AC condenser, and that's normal. Texas summer will really do a number on it to keep the truck cool
Old 04-10-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK no worries if 1mm, I thought it was noticeably lower. Like say 1/2" or 1" down. Carry on.