Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo silverado 6.0 turbo leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo silverado 6.0 turbo leaking oil

I'm having an issue with my ebay gt45 turbo. It's a brand new turbo, with maybe 4 miles on it, and 15 minutes of idling. I was having issues with my wideband and changed it out for a new one. I noticed the wideband had oil covering it, so I pulled my Downpipe and noticed oil running down the pipe.

My return line is plumbed into my low oil sensor bung, and the line is a 3/8 I'd 16in line. I don't have any sort of pcv currently hooked up, so my throttle body vaccum lines are plugged, and my valve covers are open air breathing.

I poured oil into the return line, to make sure it drains before bolting the turbo on, so it drains WITHOUT the engine running. I know the bottom of the return line is submerged in oil, and with the engine running, oil spits out of the dipstick tube.

Where did I go wrong here? Is the return line in the wrong place? Should I be running some sort of pcv system? Is the turbo bad? If it wasn't the turbos fault, will fixing the return fix the oil leak problem or is the turbo blown?
Old 07-06-2015, 11:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What size drain line are you using? You need to use a large line to let gravity remove the oil, don't forget it is entering the turbo at engine oil pressure. Also, I would not want the bottom of the drain submerged, it should be able to move as much oil as possible. If you correct those issues and still have a problem, you might want to look into an oil restrictor. I assume you would not need an oil restrictor, but that is another option.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Drain is too low. Needs to be above the sensor
Old 07-06-2015, 12:36 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Yep, you need the drain higher than the oil sensor level. As close to the top of the pan as you can get it.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
What size drain line are you using? You need to use a large line to let gravity remove the oil, don't forget it is entering the turbo at engine oil pressure. Also, I would not want the bottom of the drain submerged, it should be able to move as much oil as possible. If you correct those issues and still have a problem, you might want to look into an oil restrictor. I assume you would not need an oil restrictor, but that is another option.
I'm running a 3/8 ID return line, and I have an oil restrictor. I read several posts with people saying that journal bearing turbos don't need a restrictor, but either way, I have one installed. Do you guys know if the turbo is toast, or will it be fine when I fix the drain issue?
Old 07-06-2015, 01:13 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Remove the restrictor and up the drain size ID to 5/8" and raise the return point to the pan. Turbo will probably be fine if you fix those things.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic
Remove the restrictor and up the drain size ID to 5/8" and raise the return point to the pan. Turbo will probably be fine if you fix those things.
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to have it fixed in the next week. I'll let you know how it goes
Old 07-06-2015, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drain size needs to be -12AN minimum with a GT45. I'm assuming you're feeding the turbo with a -6 line plus restrictor? Any oil being pushed out the bearing is the result of too much return restriction. GT45 isn't the pinnacle of quality, chances of getting one with a bad bushing are higher.

Technically the drain point doesn't have to be above the oil level if you are using a properly sized drain. You could plumb it in the bottom of the pan with -16, fluid dynamics will be the same as plumbing it in the top of the pan with -10.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
Drain size needs to be -12AN minimum with a GT45. I'm assuming you're feeding the turbo with a -6 line plus restrictor? Any oil being pushed out the bearing is the result of too much return restriction. GT45 isn't the pinnacle of quality, chances of getting one with a bad bushing are higher.

Technically the drain point doesn't have to be above the oil level if you are using a properly sized drain. You could plumb it in the bottom of the pan with -16, fluid dynamics will be the same as plumbing it in the top of the pan with -10.
4an oil feed, and 10an drain
Old 07-06-2015, 11:03 PM

I removed the oil return line off of the turbo and set it off to the side. Installed another line onto the turbo and have it draining into a seperate oil can. When I started the engine and revved it, oil came shooting out of the return, so I guess I found the problem. But the turbo still smokes/shoots oil out when it's rev'd. I'm not sure if it's the left over oil, or if the seals are shot. Hopefully it's just residual oil in the turbo.