Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Yukon 6.2, long tube headers installed, help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Yukon 6.2, long tube headers installed, help please

I installed Speed Engineering 1 7/8'' long tube headers. Great price, fast delivery but I am having a couple of issues.

1) Drivers O2 sensor hits the body when the engine is under load. What do?

- I dropped the header down as low as it could go.

- Drivers engine mount is new, passengers is old. Should I replace the passengers? How can I keep the engine from moving around so much

- I trimmed the O2 sensor which helped a little. Stupid if it works?

- I've stared cutting a hole where the below red arrow points. How best do I cut out enough? Is this the right path?

- Should I have another O2 bung welded in at another angle? (pain in the ***, but will do if needed).

2) I have no cats, stock muffler and resonator delete. How do I quiet this down? Holy **** this is loud and sounds crappy.

- Should I add a cat after the ypipe to quiet things down? I'm planning to do so also for the smell.

- Suggestions on mufflers or other ways to make my neighbors and wife love me again?

O2 Sensor hits here. Its double walled steel where I used a large drill bit to cut space for the sensor. I didn't cut enough.
Name:  MqOWOBx.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  60.4 KB

Trimmed O2 sensor. I can at least drive normally without hitting. I used a dremel.
Yukon 6.2, long tube headers installed, help please-8x6tvxl.jpg

Another view of the sensor.
Yukon 6.2, long tube headers installed, help please-ison332.png

Just a quick vid. Not captured the holy ***** nascar sounds at full tilt.

Body shot.
Yukon 6.2, long tube headers installed, help please-che3mlo.png

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2018, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Add a nice resonator back in, that should tone down the rasp a ton when using the stock muffler. That or a decent sized cat will act as a nice resonator in most cases.

I wouldn't cut a hole but more so just pound the body in with a hammer to make more clearance for the o2 sensor.
The following users liked this post:
MikeGyver (05-21-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FFDP
Add a nice resonator back in, that should tone down the rasp a ton when using the stock muffler. That or a decent sized cat will act as a nice resonator in most cases.

I wouldn't cut a hole but more so just pound the body in with a hammer to make more clearance for the o2 sensor.
I was thinking about putting the stock resonator back on. I'll try that AND a cat.

I wonder if pounding things in would be enough? Cant hurt to try though I don't have a lift.

Think I could do it on my back?
Old 05-20-2018, 08:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by tgui
I installed Speed Engineering 1 7/8'' long tube headers. Great price, fast delivery but I am having a couple of issues.

1) Drivers O2 sensor hits the body when the engine is under load. What do?

- I dropped the header down as low as it could go.

- Drivers engine mount is new, passengers is old. Should I replace the passengers? How can I keep the engine from moving around so much

- I trimmed the O2 sensor which helped a little. Stupid if it works?

- I've stared cutting a hole where the below red arrow points. How best do I cut out enough? Is this the right path?

- Should I have another O2 bung welded in at another angle? (pain in the ***, but will do if needed).

2) I have no cats, stock muffler and resonator delete. How do I quiet this down? Holy **** this is loud and sounds crappy.

- Should I add a cat after the ypipe to quiet things down? I'm planning to do so also for the smell.

- Suggestions on mufflers or other ways to make my neighbors and wife love me again?

O2 Sensor hits here. Its double walled steel where I used a large drill bit to cut space for the sensor. I didn't cut enough.

Trimmed O2 sensor. I can at least drive normally without hitting. I used a dremel.

Another view of the sensor.

Just a quick vid. Not captured the holy ***** nascar sounds at full tilt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbxXTWOxRhs

Body shot.

Thanks!
Sounds bad *** for a stock muffler. I run two Dynomax race bullets ahead of the Magnaflow muffler on my truck. Very tame at cruise and idle.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 86 IROC
Sounds bad *** for a stock muffler. I run two Dynomax race bullets ahead of the Magnaflow muffler on my truck. Very tame at cruise and idle.
Dude, its so damn loud lol. Thanks for the bullets and magnaflow ideas.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
That's what I did.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 764 Likes on 563 Posts

I've got long tubes with a vibrant ultra quiet resonator and stock muffler off a NNBS with a 6.2 and it's completely silent. I would suggest a vibrant ultra quiet resonator right after the header collector.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
I've got long tubes with a vibrant ultra quiet resonator and stock muffler off a NNBS with a 6.2 and it's completely silent. I would suggest a vibrant ultra quiet resonator right after the header collector.
Do you have cats?
Old 05-21-2018, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 764 Likes on 563 Posts

No cats just long tubes to a single 3in vibrant ultra quiet and then back to a 3in NNBS muffler.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
That's what I did.
Dumb question. What kind of hammer? Like regular hand held. Sledgehammer? I've never hammered in body parts before.

Quick Reply: Yukon 6.2, long tube headers installed, help please