Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

VSC crapped out, need some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSC crapped out, need some opinions

My flex-a-lite VSC is crapping out, the pins are coming out of the controller and its just crap alltogether. I was wondering if Allen's controller is a good one to buy. I have my tune from him with the e-fans programmed in, so would it be wise to get the one from him? Also, does his have it so I can still tap the A/C? Any advice would be great, thanks.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:23 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm wondering the same thing. Mine went out too, same thing happened, the pins/connectors came out. S&S Performance still hasn't gotten back to me about getting me a copy of the invoice so I can fax it to Flex-A-Lite and get a new VSC. It's been going on a couple weeks now.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

i would go with a wiring harness. you could also make one yourself with the right stuff, which could be easily attained..but then you have to have the ability to tune your PCM...if you already have the nelson tune it might be worth contacting nelson to get the harness...
Old 08-13-2004, 06:08 AM
Formerly one92rs

Talking

im using the dc controller. it works great.

http://www.dccontrol.com/
Old 08-13-2004, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I think I might contact Nelson and see what his has to offer since he did program my PCM to turn the fans off and on.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Which VSC was it?

Which VSC was it? Was it the newer version? How long have you had it?
The newer version has 4 copper heat sinks at the top vs. the 2 on the older one. The older ones did that and the newer ones were supposed to be improved to eleminate this. I have a new one that has been running hard in the Georgia heat, idling in the heat for long periods and is holding up well. Let us know.
Call Flex-a Lite and they will send you an new one. Even if you are not going to use, it make them do it.

Thanks
Old 08-14-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by therock
Which VSC was it? Was it the newer version? How long have you had it?
The newer version has 4 copper heat sinks at the top vs. the 2 on the older one. The older ones did that and the newer ones were supposed to be improved to eleminate this. I have a new one that has been running hard in the Georgia heat, idling in the heat for long periods and is holding up well. Let us know.
Call Flex-a Lite and they will send you an new one. Even if you are not going to use, it make them do it.

Thanks
Chingons has the new one (40 amp) and it crapped out on him.
Ive had the old one (25 amp) in my truck and it worked fine. Maybe it depends on gettin a nice ground and having your wires setup nicely

Flex-a-lite told me it would be ok to use either the 40amp version or the 25amp version in our application but the 40amp would be better
Old 08-14-2004, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Flex-a-Lite is Very Insistant ........

Flex-a-Lite is Very Insistant on the + & - leads going directly to the battery.
I am still interested in what VSC abbo7 is running. And if he has the leads connected as stated above.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have only 2 copper heat sinks, so it must be the older version. I have had problems with wires comming off the connections and now pins are falling out of the unit. Come Monday I will get in contact with Allen and talk with him about his box. I need to hook up my PCM to the fans so I have a more accurate switch to turn the fans off and on anyway.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:41 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula

The problem with the VSC's is not that it's a piece of crap or whatever. I believe James B. covered it when he said that when driving around town, the connections jiggle around and become loose causing resistance and eventually melting. Make sure the connections are all the way on, crimp the connectors down then plug them back in if need be. Soldering would be the best way if you're good at that.

Quick Reply: VSC crapped out, need some opinions