Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

VHP 047 Asp-Kicker installed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to get a turbo cam.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:11 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by BenKey
You need to get a turbo cam.
No not for me. I meant for friends. I already have a turbo cam. LOL 226/220 .591/.554 116
Old 09-08-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I'll be calling a dyno shop this week. I'll be sure to post up.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Marc,

How much overlap does that cam have?
Old 09-09-2004, 12:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marc_w
Thanks guys...

NA - I installed it dot-to-dot, and I'm quite certain there is 5* advance ground in. (that's not a typo - it's the first time I heard 5* being used too )
This is where some of your low-end grunt is coming from. Looks like they did a good job designing this cam.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

Would this cam be the ticket for a stock lq4 backed by a 4L80E that will be street driven, do a little light towing and the occasional full throttle blast?
Old 09-09-2004, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like it would be about perfect for that.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Here is some info from the member with the 044 grind, 1.89 rockers, and VHP/Crane duals. The truck is a Tahoe - 5.3L?

Roger installed the 044 cam for me three weeks ago, same cam but on a 114LSA. It idles dead smooth. It even drove pretty well with the stock tuning, but you could tell that it was holding back. I installed the tuning from my Powermax tuner and it totally smoothed out and the power really came on --all the way to 6000. The Crane Power tuner is absolutely awesome and there is no combination of key strokes that can damage anything. Go on www.corvetteforum.com and read the links under scan and tune about it. It's referred to as the Vinci tuner there, but it is the same thing. Especially read the threads that start out how disappointed they are with the Vinci tuner, but make sure you read the whole thing!! The guy went from total disappointment to total embarassment because it ended up running so well!

Well, about the QuietTahoe. It idled so well with the stock tune that I would not hesitate to take it back to the dealership for any service work. I honestly don.t think they would think the cam had been changed unless they popped the valve covers and saw the Crane duals! The cam/tuner combination provides a huge torque increase from dead idle on. There is no loss of torque or throttle response anywhere. Part throttle the truck is actually smoother than stock while having much better throttle response everywhere. The cam will be a dream for towing. Also, the entire valvetrain is as quiet as stock. I don't understand why these guys put up with noisy valvetrains when they don't have to. I have the Crane roller rockers and they have special barrel shaped needle bearings that keep the rockers quiet. The truck is so quiet and smooth that my wife only thinks I changed rockers and springs. But then she doesn't get on it hard. I've taken several friends out in it and they are all impressed, especially with how the tuner smoothes the whole package out while increasing the power.

I expect 50,000+ miles out of my springs with .562 valve lift(1.8rockers), but I'm not running it to 6000 on every acceleration. I drive moderately and only use the power when I need it. Also, looks like my highway mileage has gone up from 20 to 21+ mpg when I drive for mileage (That's at 60-80 on I95)
Jamesjones - I think if you're going to keep the stock converter, I'd look at the 044... but if it'll have a mild stall, the 047 will be sweeter. You can call VHP and get an expert opinion though - they've very friendly and helpfull.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by AKZ71
I am wondering how good their tuner is. Seems like you can do a lot more with it than your just run of the mill tuners.

I think I want the same cam you have.
tuner is great. here's a tutorial i made for VHP on their tuner http://www.stealthram.com/vhptuner.htm

i picked up .2 and 1.4 mph at the track.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Sweet, thanks for the advice. I want a little more hop up than stuck but don't want to lose reliability and it sounds like the comination of 044 grind, 1.89 rockers, and VHP/Crane duals would be right for me. I might even try that tuner as well.

Quick Reply: VHP 047 Asp-Kicker installed.