Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

VHP 047 Asp-Kicker installed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marc_w
I noticed that I get KR at low RPM's. Like I said I cleared up the low RPM (1,100) KR at the TCC unlock, by raising the lock/unlock points. I notice that I get it on tip-in from a dead stop. None if I'm real easy, but 8-9* if I just plant my foot. The throttle responce is so quick even when trying to take it easy, that the truck is jerky from a dead stop with the stock converter... so it's kind of hard not to be agressive with the throttle. I'm wondering if I'm getting too much air at idle now - I'll have to play around with things some more. I'm still optimistic, because the cam seems to be responding real well to tuning changes... not to mention I think it'll be completely gone when I get the 2600 stall in (should take that low rpm load off the motor).
Perhaps a bit too much timing in the lower RPM, higher load range?

I threw 4* more timing at it in the upper RPM's, with no KR. The motor just sings. Roger told me I'd be able to use 28* with the cam - so we'll see. I'm currently at just 23*.
I'm currently running around 26* with stock cam. Can get up to 28* in some areas with no KR. I think you should be OK...

Sounds like a good choice marc. Makes me think about cams some more...

Old 09-10-2004, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

if anyone looking for a vhp tuner for trucks, i have a brand new one never opened, see my thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214261
Old 09-10-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Low RPM timing - that's quite possible, Deezel. I haven't added any timing below, like 3,400, but with the more efficient (than stock) cam in, there might be too much now?

I know I can do better with my idle... I think that jerkyness might be a quick lean hesitation, so I'll start with that.

26* is pretty respectable... no wonder you guys say these trucks are detuned. I'm starting to sweat 24! (and to think they were running about 19* stock)
Old 09-10-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm.....where is that Yank 2600?
Old 09-10-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

In the corner of my basement. Why do you ask??

The g/f's away all next weekend. Perfect time to go make "gravel angels" under my truck.

Damn you paved-driveway people.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marc_w
Damn you paved-driveway people.
I got one. Drive it down.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:44 PM
FormerVendor

I have one also, and it is still there after Hurricanes Charley and Frances. You better hurry down, because I can't promise that it will still be there after Ivan rolls through. Awaiting another hurricane in Central Florida (like 2 wasn't enough). Joe.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:49 PM
FormerVendor

I believe I meant, like 2 were not enough.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

I Feel You On The Gravel Angels. Im Thinking About The 044 Cause I Do Tow Some. I Drive About 90 Miles A Day So I Need Something Very Dependable. I Dont Want A Race Truck(well Thats What I Have To Keep Telling Myself) I Just Want To Add A Little More Spunk To It. All I Have Is Corvette Servo,exhaust,descreened Mas, And Ported And Polished T/b. Thinking About The Yank Truck Truster 3000. What Everyones Opinion On That
Old 09-11-2004, 01:12 AM
Teching In

Stock Sucks, that's what I'm after too. Am considering the 044 also, not too radical but an improvement. I'm taking my time and checking around but these VHP cams look like the best. I don't really tow anything, occasionally help somebody move, but don't speed or race much. I like punching it to get onto the freeway or pass someone though! Heck, I've got a heavy 4x4 not a lowered 2wd. Anyway, his cams look better than an '01 LS6 cam or similar since the 044 supposedly doesn't rob any torque but adds to it. I'll find someone in Austin to install it for me. Let's just hope Joe's shop is around after the next week or so!

--Dave

Quick Reply: VHP 047 Asp-Kicker installed.