Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

VHP 047 Asp-Kicker installed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VHP 047 Asp-Kicker installed.

Oh yes, this cam rocks a fat one.

I'm real excited here, so you have to forgive me a bit.

It replaced my popular 220/220 112 grind that I had in for the last few thousand miles.

Specs are 210/218 .530/.530 112.

This cam is A LOT of fun. Put your foot into it, and you get tons of torque at any RPM. It honestly feels like a small turbo - it puts down rock solid torque from approximately, 1,600-1,800 rpm up. Those VHP guys are not bullsh*tting us!

Where my 220 grind would absolutely-positively come alive at 4K like a small nitrous shot... this thing is "going off" the instant you put your foot down. I let the truck do a simple kickdown from OD to 3rd at about 45mph, and I was VERY surprised at the speed I picked up coming up the hill to my house just pulling 2K on the clock. It's like I wasn't even trying. You don't need to beat on your truck to make power.

It passed my local "hill test" - it made it up one of the nastier ones locked up at 1,300rpm with no fuss. Much better than the other cam that felt like a 5.3 liter doing the same 'test'.

Throttle responce is very quick. I got a huge grin on my face when I started up the truck and gave the pedal a few stabs. It's a big difference compared to the last cam.

Idle is cool. More tame than the 220 (rather obviously). I have it idling at the stock 525 in gear, 550 out, and I get the stinky musty smell through the cats. It gets this "brump... brump... brump..." surge thing going every 10 seconds or so. I had it idling at 625/675, and the lope was hard to detect, with no gassy smell out the exhaust. I'll have a soundclip up within a few days.

THERE IS NO VALVETRAIN NOISE AT ALL. I'm yelling because I'm THAT excited. It's as quiet as stock. I love it! What I found interesting is that the base circle of the cam was approximately .02" larger than the 220's. I'm running the same 7.4" pushrods.

I can't detect any loss of lowend over the stock cam. In fact, I'm quite convinced it's making more than stock by 1,500. All you need is the slightest hint of foot on the pedal, and you cruise up to speed without trying.

Power in the upper rpms - Like I said, the 220 would pull well up at 4K and above. After the shift, power would fall off a bit as rpm's dipped down to 3,500 or so. This cam walks all over it below 4K, and pulls just as hard, if not harder to 6K. After the shift, this cam is right back in the meat of the powerband. This cam makes me feel more like my shift points are too low than the 220 did. You seem to get to the top of the powerband quicker with this cam. The 220 even when above 4K felt "hollow" in comparison... the 047 feels like it "carries more weight" or has more "substance" to it... if that makes ANY sense.

So yeah, I'm quite pleased with this cam.

Another thing... I finally got around to getting a digital camera that can do movies and all that crap. You'll have to get used to seeing more things like this from me. (top to bottom: 220, stock, a** kicker)
Old 09-05-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Also...

KR - Yes, I did log some at a very low RPM, high load, downshift/unlock from overdrive. Otherwise, I didn't see any happening in 'real time', when I'd glace over at the passenger seat. I had a whole 30 minute log running, but my laptops battery threw a fit and the scanner shut down on me before I could save it.

Simple pickup/passing power on the highway is great. Much less effort that before. The truck will pull OD locked up pretty nicely. The other cam was flat here.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:20 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you are happy. Get it on a dyno so we can see what its doing.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

I plan on getting some track time and hopefully dyno time by mid fall.

I wish I stuck with the other cam longer - enough to at least get it to the track. I threw this one in on a whim.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure , but I think you may be taking a liking to this new cam.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
I'm not sure , but I think you may be taking a liking to this new cam.
Yeah, it's okay.

If there weren't so many cops out looking for drunk drivers right now, I'd be out playing.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

thats sweet man, i hope my 45 cam has the same effect, im too lazy to install it lol, probablly saturday.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I've been stalling too. I had little to no desire to dig into the motor again... I just ran into a free afternoon and figured I'd get it out of the way. Only took 5 hours this time around. I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marc_w
I threw this one in on a whim.
Starting to sound like me. One more and you're caught up with me. Just after my third one is when I had the failed cam bearings. Beat up on them too much, I guess.

Glad you're happy with this one.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks Ben.

I had you in mind when doing the swap... I hope I'm carefull enough with the cam bearings.

A little update for everyone.

KR. I was getting 8-9* on the TCC unlock at 34-35mph at about 1,100rpm.

I changed my TCC lock/unlock points about 4mph higher, and I got rid of it completely. I'm now locking/unlocking around 1,500rpm which is right where the cam comes alive.

...yes, the cam is a little soft (relative to this cam) under 1,500rpm. Not bad at all, it's just not like how it is at 1,500rpm. The cam comes alive there, so the motor pulls well off the line when you get into it even with the stock converter. You don't NEED a converter like with other cams. A converter will only hit harder with this thing.

By 2,000 it's the beginning of the meat the the powerband. It pulls STRONG with all the torque it makes at 2K. The torque is most noticeable in the higher gears at like, 1/4 throttle - which is something I see all the time. From 2K, it just pulls very clean and hard to the shift.

After I changed the TCC shift points, I get no major KR. I occasionally get 1-2* jumping on it - which should be easy enough to tune out. That's sweet.

The idle started to get a little soggy on me and rpm's would drop a little low coming to a stop. I added a little more air through the idle airflow table, and the engine responded real well - I was surprised. RPM's come down to idle perfectly. I have it idling very cleanly at stock 525/550 idle speed with a slight hint of lope. Only a trained ear would notice.

Quick Reply: VHP 047 Asp-Kicker installed.