Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

various tuning questions (westers,nelson,predator)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default various tuning questions (westers,nelson,predator)

I think I know the answer to this question, but here it goes: I have access to custom diablo predator tunes through james at RWTD - would a pcm tune (westers or nelson) provide a HUGE increase over the predator? I honestly havent ever felt a gigantic difference from the predator, but enough to tell its there - while people with westers or nelsons say they can hardly believe the gains...

Does anyone know someone with a corvette with a Westers tune? A c6 may be in my future and Westers lists zo6 and c5's on his site, so maybe I could use his 'next vehicle credit' on a c6 in the future after the tuners figure out the ls2

Does allen ever have access to a dyno for tuning? I live about 2 hours away and might go if it meant a perfect tune.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

dyno tune is not going to give you real world numbers. you might get the most H.P out of the dyno but you get it out on the street and everyone with an F150 is kicking your butt, because its, not setup for street driven just for the dyno. you have diffrent variables when on a dyno. like its just sitting there, there is no load and no wind to provide resistance.
just my .02
I had Allen log onto mine while i was driving and we set it up like that.
and let me tell you,
its like night and day compared to an HPPIII, which is what I had.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01 Thunder
dyno tune is not going to give you real world numbers. you might get the most H.P out of the dyno but you get it out on the street and everyone with an F150 is kicking your butt, because its, not setup for street driven just for the dyno. you have diffrent variables when on a dyno. like its just sitting there, there is no load and no wind to provide resistance.
just my .02
I had Allen log onto mine while i was driving and we set it up like that.
and let me tell you,
its like night and day compared to an HPPIII, which is what I had.

Taken from one of my previous posts as I'm too lazy to type it again.

I've been tuning standalones and piggybacks in the import scene for a few years now. While track time is important to see what MPH you are running, so you can see quantifiable gains in performance (we do agree that MPH is an indicator of HP, no?) Road tuning is less then ideal due to the inconsistancies of many factors. Road conditions/variables, wind speed, etc, These things will prevent you from getting the most from your truck.

My experience has found that you can get 90% of your power on the dyno, and the remaining 10% on the track. The dyno can't do it all unfortunately
Old 03-05-2004, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

I had a superchips tuner for a few days before I got a nelson tune. No comparison! And Allen does have a dyno.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:47 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

i had a predator with two custom tunes. then i had westers and had 4 or 5 now i cant remember. now i have a nelosn tune. and yes the dyno will yield the most hp in a tune for sure. but you will have to drive it to get the shift pionts down and tip in torque and all the other driveability issues out. and yes he can get a hold of a dyno for you. just ask him.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it's a toss up

With the Wester's you'll get the credit towards a PCM for your vette if you get one

Yet Nelson's is only 2 hours away and a driven/dyno tune makes a better difference

Which one is more important to you (i'm still trying to decide if it were me)