Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terrible exhaust rasp

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
Muffler choice and no tailpipes. X pipe has nothing to do with it either... that's just rubbish. I have 3" duals on my 04 off 1 7/8" speed engineering long tubes to an X pipe with larger case Borla XR1s and tailpipes on a 45 out the rear of the truck. No rasp.. period. In fact its borderline too quiet however I appreciate that and don't want loud anyway.
Not to start a pissing match but x pipes are in fact more raspy. I went through this already. A quick google and you will see. It may not take enough away for OP but it is very considerable. I have 2014 6.2 with whipple, 1 7/8 Lts no cats, cam, into 16 in xr1s. Had x pipe and converted to h pipe. Sound was much much deeper. Its fact that different cossovers cancel different standind waves. And its fookin loud
Old 06-13-2020, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjblur
Not to start a pissing match but x pipes are in fact more raspy. I went through this already. A quick google and you will see. It may not take enough away for OP but it is very considerable. I have 2014 6.2 with whipple, 1 7/8 Lts no cats, cam, into 16 in xr1s. Had x pipe and converted to h pipe. Sound was much much deeper. Its fact that different cossovers cancel different standind waves. And its fookin loud
Maybe for you... doesn't work that way in the real world all the time. H pipes are meh.. great "balance tube" that acts as an interruption to flow... mine is so mellow it's like the average catback. I look at this guys setup like this.. delete the x pipe... it will still sound like ****. Its half an exhaust with mufflers that offer next to nothing for "muffling" sound. I like my personal experiences over google thanks... not my first or my last x pipe setup. Muffler choice and lack of tailpipes always results in the same thing.... But yeah put in an H pipe and watch how it still sounds shitty until you finish the exhaust system.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 06-13-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Maybe for you... doesn't work that way in the real world all the time. H pipes are meh... mine is so mellow it's like the average catback. I like my personal experiences over google thanks... not my first or my last x pipe setup.
I literally just posted switching from x to h. So it wasnt just google even though tons of testing disproves your anecdotel evidence. Science and math are undeniable. Your x may not be raspy but an h pipe would be more mellow. You can in fact tune out all rasp with enough mufflers or big enough of a muffler. But an h in the same system will always be less raspy than a y.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

You didn't disprove anything... and your advice won't fix his issue whereas what I said will. Flow theory... lol
.. its kind of what I do for a living. But hey.. yeah you are right and cannot be wrong lol... hahahaha
Old 06-13-2020, 02:14 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=1994Vmax;5484335]You didn't disprove anything... and your advice won't fix his issue whereas what I said will. Flow theory... lol
.. its kind of what I do for a living. But hey.. yeah you are right and cannot be wrong lol... hahahaha[/QU

And your point? Im an acoustical engineer and professional musician. Arguments from authority dont mean anything. And flow theory is not the best deciding factor on tone. Its pretty easy to flow different cfm and keep the general sound the same in a basic sense.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=Jjblur;5484336]
You didn't disprove anything... and your advice won't fix his issue whereas what I said will. Flow theory... lol
.. its kind of what I do for a living. But hey.. yeah you are right and cannot be wrong lol... hahahaha[/QU

And your point? Im an acoustical engineer and professional musician. Arguments from authority dont mean anything. And flow theory is not the best deciding factor on tone. Its pretty easy to flow different cfm and keep the general sound the same in a basic sense.
Since you enjoy arguing did you read his muffler choice and lack of tailpipe... go do straights on your truck and hack it off above the rear end... then report back how it sounds. You are an "acoustical engineer" so you should be able to see what difference it makes...

Even the resonator and tailpipe idea would be a problem solver here unless they are all wrong too. Then if he doesn't like the pitch he can do an H over an X but I doubt that it will matter at that point.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 06-13-2020 at 02:38 PM.