Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

question about dakota digital fan controller.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about dakota digital fan controller.

here is a website with the instructions on how to hook it up
CLICK HERE

it looks pretty easy to hook up but i have a question..it says you have to hook up some wires to the fan relay, but i got flex-a-lite fans..my question is where is the relay for the fans...i guess they came in with a built in relay..how would i wire this up..help would be appreciated cause i want to get rid of my VSC....thanks
Old 04-26-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttttt
Old 04-26-2005, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

The flex a lite fan kit doesn't use a relay with the VSC- the controller is capable of providing the full current required by the fans. You will need to find a relay that is rated for the current draw of the fans you are using in order to use the Dakota controller. I bet a Bosch 40A relay would work just fine.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PSWired
The flex a lite fan kit doesn't use a relay with the VSC- the controller is capable of providing the full current required by the fans. You will need to find a relay that is rated for the current draw of the fans you are using in order to use the Dakota controller. I bet a Bosch 40A relay would work just fine.
where would i buy that? and where would i locate the relay..just mount it somewhere?
Old 04-26-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry i got some more questions..on the flex a lite fans it has 4 wires that connect to the fan motors...two on each...where would these go? on the relay cause i dont see a spot to put them on the device..and instead of tappin into the water sending unit i wander if i could use the temp sensor from the vsc? and connect it. sorry for all the questions ...its probaly wishful thinking that i'll get some answers cause im sure no one has one of these yet, but if some1 could help me out i'd appreciate it...thanks!
Old 04-27-2005, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Okie02
sorry i got some more questions..on the flex a lite fans it has 4 wires that connect to the fan motors...two on each...where would these go? on the relay cause i dont see a spot to put them on the device..and instead of tappin into the water sending unit i wander if i could use the temp sensor from the vsc? and connect it. sorry for all the questions ...its probaly wishful thinking that i'll get some answers cause im sure no one has one of these yet, but if some1 could help me out i'd appreciate it...thanks!
You can get automotive relays from crutchfield.com in the install section, summit, jegs, etc. One wire of each fan goes to ground, the other goes to power through a relay. The relay is what switches the fan on and off. There should also be circuit protection so a short doesn't burn your truck down.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PSWired
You can get automotive relays from crutchfield.com in the install section, summit, jegs, etc. One wire of each fan goes to ground, the other goes to power through a relay. The relay is what switches the fan on and off. There should also be circuit protection so a short doesn't burn your truck down.
thanks for the help man..just one more question..i looked up the amp draw on my fans and it is 28..so what size of relay should i go with? thanks
Old 04-27-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone...sorry i have never dealed with relays and know nothin about them