Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official NBS V6 to GENIII V8 swap Guide

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 10:01 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

yep, that'll do it.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey everybody it’s me again and I have another question on my swap. So I’m switching harnesses from an 03-07 to a 99-02 harness ( because my truck is a 2002) but anyways my question is this: are the injector plugs different on an 03-07 motor than what they are on a 99-02 motor? If so, is it best that I try to get the harness with the injectors? Or will I be able to cut the plugs from the 03-07 harness and solder them to my 99-02 harness? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-03-2018, 06:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going from V6 to V8 then you will need whatever underhood harness from the V8 also because otherwise you will be missing the plug for the other 2 injectors. that was the case for me - but if you are going V8 to V8 - that I don't know.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:23 AM
100% Redneck

Received 1,329 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Little_Mata
Hey everybody it’s me again and I have another question on my swap. So I’m switching harnesses from an 03-07 to a 99-02 harness ( because my truck is a 2002) but anyways my question is this: are the injector plugs different on an 03-07 motor than what they are on a 99-02 motor? If so, is it best that I try to get the harness with the injectors? Or will I be able to cut the plugs from the 03-07 harness and solder them to my 99-02 harness? Thanks in advance!
You're good... both the 03-07 and 99-02 harnesses use the mini delphi connectors to the injectors.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Hello once more everyone, so I have run into a number of problems between my harness and my engine. So I’m trying to install a v8 99-02 harness on an engine and transmission, the engine and tranny i am trying to put the harness on is from a 2004 5.3 Tahoe. When I got my 99-02 harness it had sensor plugs missing. The 2004 Tahoe engine had a complete harness with the sensors and everything. What I’ve been doing is taking the missing plugs from the tahoe harness, and re-soldering them onto the 99-02 harness. But I’ve run into some problems. I’ve noticed that some of the sensors are different on the engine than they are on the 99-02 harness such as: the oil pressure sensor plug from the 99-02 harness has only one wire while the Tahoe engine has 3 wires. Also, the neutral safety switch is one giant connection, but on the 99-02 harness it appears to be two different plugs. Can anybody out there confirm if the 99-02 harness is compatible with the Tahoe engine? Is there any way I can still use the harness and not have to spend any more money? I really need some help with this because I am very confused and i don’t have much more cash to spend on my project.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:02 AM
100% Redneck

Originally Posted by Little_Mata
Hello once more everyone, so I have run into a number of problems between my harness and my engine. So I’m trying to install a v8 99-02 harness on an engine and transmission, the engine and tranny i am trying to put the harness on is from a 2004 5.3 Tahoe. When I got my 99-02 harness it had sensor plugs missing. The 2004 Tahoe engine had a complete harness with the sensors and everything. What I’ve been doing is taking the missing plugs from the tahoe harness, and re-soldering them onto the 99-02 harness. But I’ve run into some problems. I’ve noticed that some of the sensors are different on the engine than they are on the 99-02 harness such as: the oil pressure sensor plug from the 99-02 harness has only one wire while the Tahoe engine has 3 wires. Also, the neutral safety switch is one giant connection, but on the 99-02 harness it appears to be two different plugs. Can anybody out there confirm if the 99-02 harness is compatible with the Tahoe engine? Is there any way I can still use the harness and not have to spend any more money? I really need some help with this because I am very confused and i don’t have much more cash to spend on my project.

The 03+ Tahoe engine itself will connect to the 99-00 harness. The differences between the two are the throttle body sensors and the oil pressure sensor. Are you running a cable type throttle body... if so the 99-00 harness is plug & play.

The 99-02 high pressure switch for the A/C compressor may be an issue because some of the 03+ compressors did not have the high pressure switch in that location. If your compressor has the purple connector on the rear of the compressor you're golden... if not you can deal with that issue when the season changes.

What connectors is missing from the 99-02 harness besides the oil pressure sending unit? As you know the oil sending units are different between the 99-02 and the 03+. You'll need the one wire oil sending unit from an 99-02 and the correct pigtail to solder on the 99-02 harness. The pigtail part number is "WELLS 1P1054" it's $11 shipped from Amazon. The one wire sending unit will hurt you at around $45 if I recall correctly (I had an 05 engine going in a 00 so I had to buy the single wire sensor) unless you have a used one laying around.

To find any other connectors for the 99-02 harness that have been cut go to RockAuto.com

Rock Auto > Chevrolet > 2002 > Silverado 1500 > 5.3 > Electrical Connector (scroll to what you're looking for) then you can copy the part numbers needed and compare prices over at Amazon.

vv CLICK BELOW vv

Rock Auto > 2002 > Chavrolet > 5.3 > Electrical Connector

Use these photos for reference it will help sorting out the connectors

Official  NBS V6 to GENIII V8 swap Guide-pc3hkj4.jpg

Official  NBS V6 to GENIII V8 swap Guide-5hb0mzf.jpg

Official  NBS V6 to GENIII V8 swap Guide-tneigx2.jpg

Official  NBS V6 to GENIII V8 swap Guide-7koteoj.jpg

Last edited by RedXray; 12-05-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RedXray
The 03+ Tahoe engine itself will connect to the 99-00 harness. The differences between the two are the throttle body sensors and the oil pressure sensor. Are you running a cable type throttle body... if so the 99-00 harness is plug & play.

The 99-02 high pressure switch for the A/C compressor may be an issue because some of the 03+ compressors did not have the high pressure switch in that location. If your compressor has the purple connector on the rear of the compressor you're golden... if not you can deal with that issue when the season changes.

What connectors is missing from the 99-02 harness besides the oil pressure sending unit? As you know the oil sending units are different between the 99-02 and the 03+. You'll need the one wire oil sending unit from an 99-02 and the correct pigtail to solder on the 99-02 harness. The pigtail part number is "WELLS 1P1054" it's $11 shipped from Amazon. The one wire sending unit will hurt you at around $45 if I recall correctly (I had an 05 engine going in a 00 so I had to buy the single wire sensor) unless you have a used one laying around.

To find any other connectors for the 99-02 harness that have been cut go to RockAuto.com

Rock Auto > Chevrolet > 2002 > Silverado 1500 > 5.3 > Electrical Connector (scroll to what you're looking for) then you can copy the part numbers needed and compare prices over at Amazon.

vv CLICK BELOW vv

Rock Auto > 2002 > Chavrolet > 5.3 > Electrical Connector

Use these photos for reference it will help sorting out the connectors

Thank you for this it was very helpful in clearing up all of the confusion I had for the oil pressure sending unit. As for other sensors that I am missing I am missing the following, I am missing the O2 sensors that are close to the trans plug as well as the trans range sensor. On the part of the harness that is close to the injectors more specifically the branch that has the coolant temp, ground, ac compressor, ac low cutout, oil level, crank sensor and starter solenoid I am missing all of the sensors after the ground wire. I tried to upload some pictures of the circled sensors I am missing but I don’t know if the pictures have uploaded, one major thing I did notice close to the transmission part of the harness is the transmission range sensor looks way different than my tahoe sensor I can take pictures if you would like to see it. Also as for my throttle body, yes I am indeed using the manual throttle and do not have any need for the drive by wire sensors. I appreciate the reply and I would appreciate any other help for questions I may have, thank you.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:58 AM
100% Redneck

The transmission range PRNDL switches are not the same nor is the connector. The 03+ uses a single connector and the 99-02 uses a double connector. Both the 99-02 and the 03+ connectors have eleven wires... are the wires the same color? the pinouts the same at the PCM???? If so you maybe able to use the new connector but you'll have to purchase an 03+ neutral safety switch (PRNDL). If you still have the V6 harness you may be able to cut the PRNDL harness with switch and solder to the 99-02 harness. The factory glues the harness plugs to the PRNDL switch and they usually break when trying to separate the connectors. Some have had success with a heat gun, me, not so lucky, I had to buy a new PRNDL switch doing the swap.

The rear (downstream) o2 sensors are not necessary but will show a DTC code on the dash. The codes can easily be tuned out if the truck is professionally tuned. Is this a pure stock swap? headers? etc? Your state inspection may require the downstream o2's in place and operational, mine does not.

My recommendation is to find an uncut 99-02 harness from a 1500 series V8 Silverado, Sierra, Tahoe, Yukon, Escalade or Suburban that has the 4L60E. You can make the cut harness work if your budget forces but you may be causing yourself more work, headache and money. I sold my 05 PCM and harness then bought the correct 99-02 harness and PCM off e-bay.

You will not be able to use the (Blue/Green) 03+ PCM unless it has IAC (idle air control) drivers... some do some don't. Only way to tell is to open the computer. The easiest PCM to find is the 99-02 (Blue/Red) P01 (0411).
Old 12-06-2018, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RedXray
The transmission range PRNDL switches are not the same nor is the connector. The 03+ uses a single connector and the 99-02 uses a double connector. Both the 99-02 and the 03+ connectors have eleven wires... are the wires the same color? the pinouts the same at the PCM???? If so you maybe able to use the new connector but you'll have to purchase an 03+ neutral safety switch (PRNDL). If you still have the V6 harness you may be able to cut the PRNDL harness with switch and solder to the 99-02 harness. The factory glues the harness plugs to the PRNDL switch and they usually break when trying to separate the connectors. Some have had success with a heat gun, me, not so lucky, I had to buy a new PRNDL switch doing the swap.

The rear (downstream) o2 sensors are not necessary but will show a DTC code on the dash. The codes can easily be tuned out if the truck is professionally tuned. Is this a pure stock swap? headers? etc? Your state inspection may require the downstream o2's in place and operational, mine does not.

My recommendation is to find an uncut 99-02 harness from a 1500 series V8 Silverado, Sierra, Tahoe, Yukon, Escalade or Suburban that has the 4L60E. You can make the cut harness work if your budget forces but you may be causing yourself more work, headache and money. I sold my 05 PCM and harness then bought the correct 99-02 harness and PCM off e-bay.

You will not be able to use the (Blue/Green) 03+ PCM unless it has IAC (idle air control) drivers... some do some don't. Only way to tell is to open the computer. The easiest PCM to find is the 99-02 (Blue/Red) P01 (0411).
The engine and transmission that i have has the 03 PRNDL plug and the neutral safety switch and they both have the same amount of wires as the 99-02, however, there’s two wires that are different colors but I just might look at the pin outs and see if I can find the right ones. I will look for a shop to delete the o2 sensors from the computer but it is a stock swap going in for now. As for later the most I might do to it is a small cam with maybe a turbo or supercharger and I’ll probably run at most 12 pounds of boost. But that’s not for a long while as for now it is all stock swap nothing special so I can deal without the o2 sensors and I’ll probably use the 03 neutral safety switch and plug.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V6 to 5.3

My truck is a 2005 base work truck rcsb. V6 2wd auto. I'm about to buy a 05 5.3 out of a Suburban and it is a Flex fuel engine being the vin has "Z" in it. Will the wiring harness work? I've read this entire post but just to make things a little more simple and faster, could someone tell me what I'll need? Instead of going back and reading everything over and over lol. This is a great write up but I've noticed some things were not clarified when swapping. I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Quick Reply: Official NBS V6 to GENIII V8 swap Guide