Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie here and a Couple Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Newbie here and a Couple Questions

Whats up guys. I have been following this forum for the last month or so and seems like a cool place to kill some time and enlighten one with some good knowledge. I live in Tucson AZ. I have an 01 silverado RCSB, this is my first real car that I have bought my self and owned. So I try like anyone else to take care of it as much as I can. I have a 4" 6" drop with a couple of mods, headers, cold air, catback, flex-a-lite e fans, and a diablo sport tune. I will get right to some questions:

I need someone to enlighten me about torque converters someone who has some time to explain some general knowledge about this things. Till this day this is the one part that I really have not been able to understand mechanically. I know that the stall is important for you the engine to RPM at the highest possible torque range... right?

Also what is a TB bypass, how do you do it, and is it a good performance adder. Thanks look forward to hangin out here.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

welcome, and your right the stall is a very confusing thing. I can't even explain it but someone on here has a good link to hwere it does. the TB coolant bypass can be done, and is very easy. ALl that it is is redirecting the flow of coolant that does through your TB(which heats it up). the reason for doing this if you do not live in a cold climate it's not necessary but if you do it's to make sure the TB doesn't freeze.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:10 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Welcome to LS1Tech good question. I to want one and have a ? as well allready posted they seem to make these Trucks really haul. Some one will chime in soon that can answer you're ?.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:46 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Welcome to the site! Now for the converter question. I have the YankTT3000 converter on a daily driver. It is just perfect. I can't hardly tell its in there anymore, and I'm picky. I want my truck to retain ALL of its drivability, but realize that some sacrifices must be made in the name of performance. Fortunately, the converter wasn't one of the things I had to sacrifice drivability to get performance from. Anything above 3000 would be a different story. Now for the "how does it work" question. Here is a link:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm
Old 12-09-2004, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
Welcome to the site! Now for the converter question. I have the YankTT3000 converter on a daily driver. It is just perfect. I can't hardly tell its in there anymore, and I'm picky. I want my truck to retain ALL of its drivability, but realize that some sacrifices must be made in the name of performance. Fortunately, the converter wasn't one of the things I had to sacrifice drivability to get performance from. Anything above 3000 would be a different story. Now for the "how does it work" question. Here is a link:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm
**** thanks for this link good explanation. Also many people install a torque converter after they do a cam install. What about putting a a torque conv first and then putting in a cam. Would it be benificial to put in a cam first or the torque. You just have the Yank installed right??
Old 12-09-2004, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

i have the yank3000 too for a TC. i love it. can get about 3-5 tenths of a 1/4 mile. i guess it doesn't really matter which you do 1st, TC or cam. i guess it would be just a preference on your part.

i don't think people see much performance gains with the TB bypass mod. probably not worth doing, unless someone has proof that they can post.

welcome BTW
Old 12-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Originally Posted by desTRUCKtive
**** thanks for this link good explanation. Also many people install a torque converter after they do a cam install. What about putting a a torque conv first and then putting in a cam. Would it be benificial to put in a cam first or the torque. You just have the Yank installed right??
Yeah, my motor is stock internally. I did the converter first because I knew I was going to do a motor swap with cam and wanted the converter to go with that. 3 mos. later (in late March of this year) I got the 6.0L and put the cam in it, unfortunately its still on the engine stand! After the holidays I swear (to myself) I'm going to finally get it in there. In the mean time I've "leaned" a little harder on the 5.3(nitrous), as I figured WTF, I got a spare. The Yank really makes the truck a lot more fun to drive...I can't say it enough. As for the throttle body by-pass, I didn't have much luck with that, so I put it back the way it was. My throttle body plate would get stuck from time to time, and according to my G-tech it didn't really do ****. I usually make 10 runs on the same road and average them out before I say that a mod helped or didn't in order to take into consideration that once and a while you get a real good or real bad run, and with that said, the throttle body bypass didn't do **** for me. Others have had better results tho. I'd do the converter before the cam if I were you. It will help when you make the decision on what cam to get. Good luck!
Old 12-10-2004, 06:07 AM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

go with converter first then cam but have any idea of what cam you want before you get your converter because that will help you pick your stall speed like **** said 3000 is perfect for daily driver i wish i had higher until i curse everytime i pull over for gas and also brand makes a difference yank will retain more driveability just like the PI (precision industries) but you can still have a great daily driver with the TCISF 3000 which is what i have for half of the price only difference is that the tci is a lot looser so it seems to pull less the further away from the lockup speed it is hope it helps welcome to ls1tech