Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New radiator upgrade option!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New radiator upgrade option!

I can confirm that the Flex-a-Lite 57000L is just about a direct replacement for the GM 34" core radiator. I tow a rather large 12k LBS 5th wheel and was looking into something with a lot better cooling capabilty. Sometimes if I was in boost (6psi) while climbing a mountain with my STS equiped 6.0L silverado 1500HD, I would start to climb in temps a bit, Usually around 220-230deg. I have not seen it get higher, but was worried if it was hot outside and I had the trailer loaded with water and all our crap, that it would climb higher and faster. Especially on a long climb! So far I have not had to climb anything for too long as boosting your 6.0L will get you to the top rather quick.
I have all the standard equipment on my 03' 1500HD, a tranny cooler, oil lines going to the radiator and such. So I was checking into better radiator options. The search in the forums really did not show much info if you already have the 34" core. So I talked to the people at Flex and decided to try out the Skookum flex-a-lite radiator, it is all aluminum and was more than twice as thick as the stock one. The caps on the sides are LARGE aluminum tanks, they are finned and bolt up my existing flex fans real easy. I junked the flex controller though in favor of the Nelson harness. SO far my temps while driving around never leave the high 160s. If I stop to idle the fans will allow the temp to rise into the 170s, but hot rodding around under boost never gets my temps up. I'll tow the trailer for about 400 miles next week and post the results. So far looks like a major upgrade for cooling. Not too badly priced at around 500 bucks and I put it in without any trouble.

Install notes if anyone was interested..

1) have to pull the small plastic stand that the stock radiator sits in, but that only took about 10 secs.
2) there are no line hookups for tranny or oil cooler, so you have to have external. I already had external so was no biggied to me to cut the lines and join them with heavy rubber hose.
3) SUPER easy flex fan slide mounts, so this is cake for them. I imagine it would be just about as easy for LS1 fans too.
4) the panels around the stock radiator are plastic, so you will end up drilling 4 mount holes into the backside panels to mount this radiator. I was a little worried it wasnt metal, but once installed, the radiator doesnt move and its very solid.
5) The flex radiator has a twist cap like the old ones do, so I had to lower the radiator a bit to be able to access this. Once in place you can move it back up easily though. The radiator slides nicely on its tracks.
6) the stock hoses will fit on the new radiator, but they are tight. Probably should have replaced them with new ones. I probably will before I have the system flished and filled before winter and replace them at that time.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:01 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

sweet, need some pics though brother!
Old 08-25-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 08-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZZebes
please?
Old 08-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

just waiting to get off work and ill flip some nice pices of the mounts and with it installed with fans.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:58 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Hhddb!
Old 08-26-2007, 02:39 AM
Staging Lane

In this picture below the radiator hose connection you can see the fan mounting, the fins double as slots that you slide down the bolts (they supply) and mount your fans on, and they suck right up to the radiator nice and snug.

This pic is the same but a little more clear on the nice work on the side tanks, and some of the mounting on the side plastic.

this pic is the passenger side showing the top cap (i had to buy) and how it is a little close to the framework there. Does not matter though, no need to use it, can just use the overflow tank to fill like you do with stock setup.

this picture shows the front side with the bolts popping through the plastic panel. It's a solid mount regardless of the material. Probably shoulda used washers. It is bugging me, so I will not rest until I do it hehe..

This is not radiator related, but had to add it. I just cannot believe how much of a difference a good post-turbo exhaust is! New setup is 3" pipe straight out of turbo to 3" straight through Magnaflow with wastegate piped in at an angle plenty far back from the turbine.

Last edited by Spires; 08-26-2007 at 02:57 AM.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

what you guys think?
Old 08-26-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks very nice (radiator and turbo exhaust).
Old 08-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

Got the radiator from StylinTrucks for 500bucks. Not too shabby really..

Quick Reply: New radiator upgrade option!