Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for more power

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for more power

Hello everyone, new to the forums and was hoping for some advice. So far my luck with Chevy forums has been lacking, I hope this site is better, it already appears to be just by the amount of great posts I have read.

Ok, to the meat. I want more power. You can see from my signature what I have already done, but I want more. I havent dynod it, so IM not sure what Im pushing already, but it doesnt seem to be enough. Im thinking about a new intake manifold, new heads, and possibly a supercharger. The supercharger wont be for awhile though. If you guys were going to keep doing mods on this truck what would you do?

To wrap it up, I love my truck, I love the sound of it, the ride, everything...I especially like embarrassing kids in their rice rockets, you just cant mess with American Muscle! Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't want to criticize your mods but I went down that road a long time ago. Ditch the Granatelli MAF, the Hypertech, Throttle body spacer, and maybe your shorty headers. You'll see a great gain from full length headers (pacesetters are about the same as shorties price wise but have MUCH more power potential) and a custom tune from any of the site sponsors on the right----> If you feel confident in your tuning abilities, buy a programmer like HPTuners or LS1 Edit. Under drive pullies are another favorite. What kind of budget are you working with? This way we'll be able to tell you where to get the most bang for your buck and welcome to the site!
Old 05-11-2007, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

I am sorry to say but you went the wrong route with mods.

Gibson Performance exhaust: This is fine
Airaide throttle body spacer: Does nothing but whistle
Granatelli Mass Air Sensor : Pointless
K&N FIPK Series 77: You are fine here
Edelbrock Shorty Headers: Debate is shorties do nothing on NBS. Need at least mid-length
Hypertech Programmer running premium fuel: Useless, get a custom PCM tune
MSD 8.5MM wires/iridium plugs: Fine I guess.

If you had went with different headers and tune, you would still have a noticeable increase. You could always go with a smaller cam to give you nice torque in your CC 4wd. If you do not tow maybe even a smaller torque converter like a 2600 or 2800 stall to aide the cam.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Listen to the 2 guys. They are telling you the truth.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Well...so much for pissing money down he drain. Wish I had found this website earlier, be nice if what they advertise when you look at products was accurate. I am going to dump the hypertech power programmer in lieu of a custom tune, theres a guy really close that is supposed to be great, so well see what he can unlock.

As far as budget, there really isnt one. I wont be going out and spending thousands all at once, except of course if I decide to go with a supercharger, but I also dont plan on getting rid of this truck.

So for headers should I get longtube? What do the shorties do, just make it louder? And what about the Mass Air Sensor, am I just not pulling enough air to matter? I appreciate all the advice, thanks for the help.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

That MAF just leans you out giving you unsafe hp in the long run. The tune will take care of that. Shorties give you a slight hp increase but for the money and long run you're MUCH better off with long tube headers. Good places to start would be:

Electric Fans
Underdrive pulley
Custom tune
Long tube headers
Torque converter
Cam/valve springs
Ported/polished throttle body

All of these, individually, are well under a thousand dollars.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

th granatelli maf is just what he said UNSAFE. it seems that aroound 550-600rwhp is when we max out the MAF and then most go either with a lingenfelter 100mm MAF or go speed density with no MAF.

the basic boltons that work on these motors are

cold air intake
longtube headers
off road y-pipe or x-pipe
aftermarket cat back w/ freeflowing muffler not flowmaster or full custom exhaust - 3" single or 2.5" dual is enough
mail-order tune, dyno tune or street tune
underdrive pulleys
electric fans
ported and polished throttle body
higher stalled torque converter
lower gears with lsd
shift kit
cam/valvetrain

do you know if you have the iron block or aluminum block because the aluminum block seems to respond a bit better to mods. RPO code L33

all of this will make a great improvement from where you are now

FYI, there is not another intake manifold that you can JUST swap on there, you have to go to either a car-style intake, requires a different water pump, clearance issues. or there is the edelbrock carb-style intake which comes out to about $1k for the complete swap

and if you decide on a supercharger, it will benefit from a different cam than one for naturally aspirated

search for radix for a great bolton supercharger kit

how do you like the site so far
Old 05-11-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

e85 fuel

longtubes
exhaust (straight-through muffler)
computer tune (dyno or mail-order)
stall
Old 05-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Thanks Nightrunner, you just gave me more solid information in one post then Ive managed to scrounge up in a years time...as can be seen with my pricey yet inefficient mods.

I like the idea of a cam and a supercharger, and then getting it tuned. It may take awhile, but at least now I have a good source of knowledge. First thing Im changing is the headers. Any specific long tube better then another? Doug Thorley? Pacesetter? Gibson or JBA? Ill give the shorties to my dad for his truck, less then three weeks old...

Theres a shop that specializes in GM performance right down the road, he definitely knows how to build trucks.

http://www.ryansperformance.com/images/rpm11secrun.wmv

This is his website:

http://www.ryansperformance.com/index.htm

Is it adviseable to have it tuned after every MOD?

And what are thoughts on the STS turbo? Thats an impressive video of the 4 wheel burnout Silverado on their page? Is it more reliable then a Radix?

I really appreciate the help.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

A tune is beneficial/necessary after mods such as cam, heads, super/turbo chargers, and other major modifications. Gibson and JBA do not make long tube headers. If there is a difference in power between the different long tube headers, it's minimal. It is recommended to get the headers coated. As for STS vs Radix, it all depends on how far you want to go in power and where you want your power band to start/fall off. Start using the search feature at the top and you'll find all the info you can possibly want.

Quick Reply: Looking for more power