Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

I think something is wrong with my new Eaton/Gears---HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 08:31 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think something is wrong with my new Eaton/Gears---HELP!!!

Everything has been fine until last night on the way to work. I got on it for a few seconds and then when I turned on to another road, I started to hear a loud whining sound.
Got back in my truck this morning on the way home and it whined all the way home.
I hope to hell I didn't mess anything up. I did a bunch of heat cycles on it. I was told at the place that did the work that after 3 or 4 heat cycles that I should be able to do anything I wanted with them.
If it makes any difference at all, I've been getting alot of brake fluid on my rear driver-side rim. (I don't know why it would be related to that, but never know)
Please somebody tell me what's going on! It's taken me 3 months to save for this!
Old 10-03-2004, 08:33 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

is it barke fluid or 90wt. i would check the fluid level in the diff. if it is brake fluid then you have a line leaking or something. im thinking it is 90wt and the diff isd low. check that first. hell take it back to them.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Does it whine when you're at cruising speed and stop when you let off the accelerator?
Old 10-03-2004, 01:12 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 02denali
is it barke fluid or 90wt. i would check the fluid level in the diff. if it is brake fluid then you have a line leaking or something. im thinking it is 90wt and the diff isd low. check that first. hell take it back to them.
I'm just gonna take it by there tommorrow morning. They know alot about our trucks. I'll have him drive it and check it out and see what he says.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:15 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Flyer
Does it whine when you're at cruising speed and stop when you let off the accelerator?
It whines more at certain cruising speeds than others. But I don't recall it whining when I let off the accelerator, until I apply the brakes.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Richard--- Since I got my gears done at the same place by the same person I know that he knows what he is doing but then again there is always room for mistakes. Let me ask you this---- When you say whine is it very very loud or is it kinda subtle but there. The reason I ask is mine make a very very subtle whine when I cruise at 45 and then again when i cruise at 65 but it nothing that I think can be fixed its just part of getting gears. ALot of people I talked to after I got my 4.10's done said that the desciption I was giving sounded normal and I will get used to it. Now if you can hear it over your stereo then yeah something is screwed but like mine I can only hear it if Im going like 45 or 65 and thats it. Give em a call Richard and you can hear mine and Ill take a listen call me.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

The whine comes from when the gears aren't set properly. They shouldn't whine at all.

It sounds like it is your gears whining. If it were to whine at all times, even when you weren't cruising, that would be more like a bearing going out.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

My gears whine also at a high frequency. I've got the richmond gears and eaton posi. The guy that put them in said he only races richmonds and every set he ever put in did it. Have been in for a year and a half with no problems.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have fluid at your wheel you have got a problem, either brake fluid or a leaking axle seal. Get it checked right away.

David
Old 10-03-2004, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

I would think its low,as stated above.Also did yu add the limited slip additive?my freind had same problem on his ,he added 1 bottle like 8 oz;but still whined he added another bottle and no more whine.just another tip for ya

Quick Reply: I think something is wrong with my new Eaton/Gears---HELP!!!