Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

I think something is wrong with my new Eaton/Gears---HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 07:55 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well guys, I took it up to B&M after work this morning and Brad rode with me and I let him hear the noise. Then he took the cover off and inspected every thing:

Checked the teeth/tooth markings = perfect
Chech the backlash = 12
Made sure everything was tight and were it was supposed to be

Brad said that there is absolutly nothing wrong with the Eaton/3.90 set-up. He said that it could be just a bad set of gears, but he can't understand why it would be dead silent all this time and then just get loud all of a sudden. I want to clarify that B&M did nothing wrong as far as the installation of the gears, I know thats what some people on here were probably thinking. I really appreciate the time that Brad took out of his schedule to look at my truck and try to help me figure out my problem. Thanks B&M!

I had thought earlier that it was my tranny. Now I'm starting to think that something is wrong with my driveshaft somehow. Any ever had a problem with their driveshaft? Like maybe out of balance or something?

I will be going by the dealership where CARAZYCUTER4.8 works in the morning and one of their well-known master techs is gonna look at it for me.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

On another note---Iw as reading this months GM High-Tech Performance mag
and a guy was asking about his rear-end making a noise and the magazine stated that if you use a performance gear that you are going to a whine at high speeds and that there is always going to be more noise with say a 4.10 because everything is spinning faster in a 4.10/3.90 rear-end. The noise should be very faint and with stock gears non at all. Good luck on the tranny/driveshaft Richard-hopefully youll be able to run at Hallsville. I swear man I dont think i will ever see you at the strip.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99silveradoSS
Well guys, I took it up to B&M after work this morning and Brad rode with me and I let him hear the noise. Then he took the cover off and inspected every thing:

Checked the teeth/tooth markings = perfect
Chech the backlash = 12
Made sure everything was tight and were it was supposed to be

Brad said that there is absolutly nothing wrong with the Eaton/3.90 set-up. He said that it could be just a bad set of gears, but he can't understand why it would be dead silent all this time and then just get loud all of a sudden. I want to clarify that B&M did nothing wrong as far as the installation of the gears, I know thats what some people on here were probably thinking. I really appreciate the time that Brad took out of his schedule to look at my truck and try to help me figure out my problem. Thanks B&M!

I had thought earlier that it was my tranny. Now I'm starting to think that something is wrong with my driveshaft somehow. Any ever had a problem with their driveshaft? Like maybe out of balance or something?

I will be going by the dealership where CARAZYCUTER4.8 works in the morning and one of their well-known master techs is gonna look at it for me.
My rear end is doing the same thing, I had a eaton with the 800lb springs and 5.13 serria gears put in about 1000 miles ago. Rear end made no noise till about a couple of days ago right before you slow down it makes a noise. Its getting worse now too it pretty much winds all the time now. Ill put the truck in nuetral and go to a stop and it doesnt make a noise. The guy who did my gears is going to look at it tonight so ill see what happens
Old 10-05-2004, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck man hopefully its something really cheap!
Old 10-05-2004, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Please stay on topic guys, tale the dispute to PM's.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 10-05-2004, 11:52 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Delux 02
My rear end is doing the same thing, I had a eaton with the 800lb springs and 5.13 serria gears put in about 1000 miles ago. Rear end made no noise till about a couple of days ago right before you slow down it makes a noise. Its getting worse now too it pretty much winds all the time now. Ill put the truck in nuetral and go to a stop and it doesnt make a noise. The guy who did my gears is going to look at it tonight so ill see what happens
I went and had the tech I was talking about ride with me and let him hear the sound. Then he drove it for a little bit. He said its definitly Not the tranny and that it sounds like to him it's the pinion bearing or there is a slight possibility it could be the rubber bearing in the middle of the driveshaft. I've got to get it fixed whatever it is, it's driving me crazy. It's at it's worst when I'm going at 35-45mph, like right after the tq converter locks-up.

Please let us know what you find out!

TigerFan187: IF it's the gears, I can deal with it. It's just one day it's dead silent and the next, it's a loud whine. Brad said that most of the time if the gears are gonna whine, they'll do it the very first time you drive it. Oh yeah, I'll be at the track no matter what, I've waited to long for it!

snoman: Yeah, they changed the fluid when they did the gear swap and they put the limited-slip additive as well.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:39 AM
Launching!

well its the gears on mine, the guy that installed them, installed it 3 thousands too tight so its just chewing up the edge of the gear.