Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

I think something is wrong with my new Eaton/Gears---HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All Im saying is most of the F-body and other truck guys who have done gears tell me that they can hear something that they couldnt hear before. Just like some gears are supposed to be "louder" than others. Mine arent loud at all but if I hold the gas a certain way at 45 or 65 then I can hear them but to someone who didnt pay attention before or after riding in my truck or to someone who has no clue about this stuff wouldnt be able to notice any difference. Richard most of the peopel I talked to after my gear job and I did talk to alot after I started to hear what I did told me that what I had was perfectly normal and the ones that had problems with a whine from their gears said they could hear over the radio and it was unbearable to drive at all times any rpm/mph!
Old 10-03-2004, 09:37 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Mn Avalanche: I'll check about the limited slip additive. Can it be used with royal purple, when I change to it?

TigerFan187: I've always heard that you'll hear a little whine, but mine have been quiet for a whole week and now they're whining real loud.

Flyer: The more I think about it, I think it's a bearing going out as well. When I got my install kit, it came with a wrong bearing for the Eaton. And the gasket didn't work right some way or another. B&M said that they had went to the dealership and got the right stuff.

I'm just gonna take it by there in the morning, it just pisses me off that all this money and now this But, I'm not blaming nobody, **** happens...

Thanks everybody for your responses!
Old 10-03-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had a set of bad gears ... it was no question about it, they were bad. The best way I could explain it is that it sounded like a skill saw in the bed cutting sheet metal. When I would let off it would kinda ease up, and bang with the saw sound and go away until I rolled back into it.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:13 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

ive had my richmonds in for a while now and they are quiet.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:07 AM
Launching!

It is not a general rule of "thumb" for 4.10's or 4.56's to be noisey. While it is true the bigger gear sets like GM 10.5" 14 bolts and such can make a bit more noise with deepers gears, the noise you diescribe is beyond that. It sounds like it was setup improperly and possibly the backlash was too tight and as it wore in a bit it got noisey. Usually if they are set wrong and broken in that way, you cannnot do much to quiet them down as the damage is done. Another note is that with a new gearset, you should take it easy on them and not do any high speed driving for a few hundred miles nor long trips either (more than 15 or 20 miles) and let it cool between uses. It is also wise to change the lube in them at about 500 miles (give ot take) with a new gear set after it is broken in a bit.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:06 AM
14 Second Truck Club

I did the break-in like this: 10 miles right after they were installed, waited about 2-3 hours and drove them for 20 miles and let them cool off for the rest of the night. The next day I drove it three more times 15-20 miles each time with at least 2-4 hours between each drive. There was also some short trips in there as well, 5-10 miles and cooling off for at least an hour. This was before I ever got on it all the way.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:16 AM
Launching!

Did you change fluid in it when this was done? Also, sounds like you have a old GM corp 10 bolt which is not a strong rear end to begin with for a full sized truck. I could be wrong but it sounds like it was set too tight when new and now it is noisy. If the setup was contracted out I would suggest that if they are reputable that they will replace gearset and start over because these may never be quiet now and they should be. You could check the "mesh" with gear paint and try to tweak the settings some as this is not normal. It is kinda curoius though your ratio change as in a big heavy truck like that if ET is inportant to you I would have atleast put in 4.10's or even 4.56's if running tires over stock size.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Richard, Backlash is what causes whine as well as gear angle pitch, we have problems with the 3/4 tons with the 4l80's making noise because the cut on the gears are square vs. angular. I can tell you that the aftermarket gears always seem to have more backlash than the factory. When we did Nathans we ended up having 16 thousands lash, we were tired & nathan said to hell with jt & ran with that. no problems yet & he dogs it daily.

Brad did come by here & get new bearings, I talked to him while he was here. I would bet you have an axle seal leaking causing the whine. Sometimes when we have higher mileage vehicles we have had to replace the axles due to runout or wear. Typically we do not take the time to measure the run out or mic it for wear & we always end up putting a couple of axle seals in before we catch it.

On another note you missed good racing friday, I ran a 15.20 & 94.78 & Joey ended up with a 15.11. There was a 14 second run out there for us but the track was terribly slick & about the time the temp dropped a camaro got loose & hit the rail, then flew over the fence & rolled for about 35 yards. they shut the track down after that. I am foward to the 16th, I feel confident that there is a 14.? waiting for me. Just to be sure I will have my vato tires on!
Old 10-04-2004, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well the way you are saying it sounds Richard I dont think it is something you can just deal with. In my case it is just a very low subtle sound and I thought you might of had the same deal going on since the same person did the install. If you would have just got the 4.10's instead of 3.90's you wouldnt of had this problem. J/K man! (that was a inside joke so I hope nobody replies with "this has nothing to do with getting 3.90 instead of a 4.10 )
Old 10-04-2004, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Richard's transmission took a dump! Richard if you wanted you could start a thread & cry about it, that seems to be the trend. I am trying to call you but your phone is busy

Quick Reply: I think something is wrong with my new Eaton/Gears---HELP!!!