Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Got bored, tinkered with my ram-air!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got bored, tinkered with my ram-air!

After my trip the track and having my truck run quicker without the ram-air than with it, I'm still thinking about what some guys said. They said that my MPH was higher on the ram-air runs so it made more power but the times may have been slower because of a traction problem, not because the ram-air didn't work. I've gotten used to the quieter intake noise though and decided to play around and try to combined the ram-air with no extra openings in the airbox. The two air inlets get there air from what gets around the headlight and turn signal, which is a pretty small opening and my pea brain can't see how it is enough air. I took the lights out and part of the wheel well liner off, there is a channel that goes up between the outer fender and frame. I decided to try and route the ram-air duct up the channel to provide more air to the airbox. The 4" duct I was using for the ram-air was to big to use so I used some 3" duct I had, I positioned the end of the duct just below the lower airbox opening in the fender. To hold the duct in front of the fender opening I used a metal clip like a big paper clip. I put the scoop back where I had it and used the 4" duct to about 16 inches then I used a 4"/3" PVC reducer to connect the 4" duct to the 3" duct. I'm also hoping that reducing the duct size may increase air velocity but I'm not sure it will. I know it's not a "ram-air" system but it may provide more cool air into the lower air inlet. It may not even do anything but it was fun tinkering for a couple of hours.
Jim
Old 11-26-2003, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some pics please.