Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anyone installed Calspeed 1 7/8" headers on a 2WD with out the heat/hammer mod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 07:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by texasglock23
There is so much hate for these headers here. I've had mine for about 9 months. And about 6 others on CGM have them. As I said many times, for $350, it's one of the better mods I have done.

I don't think I would be the **** out of mine to fit a 4x4 though. I read one or two saying they had no issues at all with 4x4, but I don't recall pics of it.
Pardon my stupidity but what is "CGM"? I'm guessing another forum?
Just curious...

Just my opinion, but I think 99% of the "hate" for the CalSpeed headers is directed at the guy who hawks them here since he's been, shall we say...Less than upfront and totally honest about fitment and/or all aspects of them from the very beginning. Not going to waste any of my time digging up examples (as I do not care), but anyone who's been on here for awhile and followed these headers from Day 1 knows this.

Since I am the thread starter of what I believe is easily the largest/most viewed tech thread on this site (The Ebay header one), I obviously have no issue with the cheapo stainless imported headers, but I agree that I'd still probably never smash a tube to get them to fit. But then again, once you're at that point and it's your daily driver...what can you do, except "make" them work? I guess I'd smash the F*** out of them too, lol.

BTW, my old "Ebay with da hump" headers are exactly 3 weeks shy of being on my truck for 3 years and still look great.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Measured the depth of the dent this morning, 1/8", the pic makes it look alot deeper for some reason. I had a set of Ebay stainless headers on my 99' Z28 for years and loved them, had to dimple one tube on them too but still didn't effect power at all and you couldn't see it. Unless you crawl up in my engine bay and look for it, you'd never notice the tube, and any performance loss for 99% of people is negligible at best so I don't see why denting one is such a big deal to folks, not like your taking a hammer to a set of $1000 ARH's
Old 12-01-2012, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Installing a set of these right now, same problem. This is extreme gayness, never buy these.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

I don't doubt fitment issues, but the set I bought around the first of the year still look great and went on without a hitch.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

they look really good, if you dont mind modding them a little to fit on some trucks i bet they would be great headers, love the 1 7/8 and then the 3.5 y, vary good setup. I just had to smash in that same tube quite a ways to make them fit and its still sitting on the frame.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Teching In

I love my pacesetters
Old 12-02-2012, 11:51 PM
Teching In

I helped a buddy of mine put a set of 1-7/8" Cal Speeds on his truck with a few fitment issues.
First of all his truck is an 07 Classic GMC (NBS) 2WD with Torsion Bar suspension up front.
The only issue we had was the passenger side tube hitting the frame like the pics shown.
Easy Fix, we "shimmed" the motor mounts for clearance. We put a grade 8 Washer under each motor mount bolt and they cleared just fine.

Trucks has been running like a champ for about 6 months on these headers without any issues.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Pardon my stupidity but what is "CGM"? I'm guessing another forum?
Just curious...

Just my opinion, but I think 99% of the "hate" for the CalSpeed headers is directed at the guy who hawks them here since he's been, shall we say...Less than upfront and totally honest about fitment and/or all aspects of them from the very beginning. Not going to waste any of my time digging up examples (as I do not care), but anyone who's been on here for awhile and followed these headers from Day 1 knows this.

Since I am the thread starter of what I believe is easily the largest/most viewed tech thread on this site (The Ebay header one), I obviously have no issue with the cheapo stainless imported headers, but I agree that I'd still probably never smash a tube to get them to fit. But then again, once you're at that point and it's your daily driver...what can you do, except "make" them work? I guess I'd smash the F*** out of them too, lol.

BTW, my old "Ebay with da hump" headers are exactly 3 weeks shy of being on my truck for 3 years and still look great.
CustomGM...and I agree with the dodging of questions, and answering real "slick like". I've had my own issues with the owner for different reasons. However, I'm still happy with mine. What I have always found funny was, the idiot from LPP from day one claimed these were copies and stolen from his design, so if that were true, why do they have fitment issues that LPP seems to not have?

My thoughts are this: Stick with the real proof, when people provide solid proof that they did/didn't work, then a solid decision can be made. If my truck were 4x4, I most likely wouldn't purchase these, in fact, I'm pretty damn sure I wouldn't. I went with these based on price. I stumbled upon them when he offered $350 shipped, or $360, it was something to that effect.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Default cal speed headers

I bought these knowing that I might have to "modify" them a little to fit, but for the price and being stainless I was not too worried. Reason being, I worked in a custom exhaust shop for a few yrs, designed some headers for a few GM cars and older trucks. Even though they fit the donor veheicle with no issues, we still had a number of headers that had fittment issues due to worn out motor mounts, and another very important reason that there is not a very consistent build quality from GM on the veheicles. #1 car was the 94-96 chevy impalla ss, and its brother the caprice. biggest problem was the steering shaft and the frames. These headers were made in a jig, they were all made the same way, but we still had problems with fitment, not all the time, just enough that it was, and still is an issue.
(for a car this big you would think there would be a ton of room, but these are very limited on space in the engine compartment and under the car for exhaust, sorry to say these are a fat pig of a car. lol)
My set for my truck, 2000 siverado 2wd, and I had no issues. they are close to the frame, but do clear.
Could these headers have been made with better clearence? yes.
Is there room for this? yes.
Would they have cost more? yes.
For the quality of the materials and build of these headers, these are a bargin.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Well know im thread diggin, but hell I had to say something ! haha

After all the bitchin and whinin nobody seems to notice the issue here.. everyone with issues has a NBS .. the pic CalSpeed posted is a 2011 ...

Incase nobody new the NNBS GMT900 have a like .. 2" ? ( ish not sure exactly how much ) wider body / frame .. thus why they eem to fit 07 + and require the BFH to come out of retirement.

I would think a company may want to change the fitment to 07 + GMT900 platform 2wd only ( 4wd slight mod or lift kit ) 4l60E only ( 6spd require slight mod ) Fit GMT800 platform with some heat and a BFH.

On this note, anyone know if these headers fit the NNBS GMT900 6.2 4x4 yet ?