Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

1.4 60' time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 07:29 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanna know about the suspension limiters. More details please.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:38 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm taking side bets on which part of the drivetrain goes first...

I just hope everything stays together long enough to get the truck into the 9's. What kind of mph you looking for w/ the 408? 130s?
Old 10-20-2004, 08:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

at our kansas meet, one of the silverado SS owners did a burnout using the waterbox. roll through, stop on the dry, let'r fly (also used the 150 shot for the burnout). all 4 smoked and it pushed him through the beams, but it sure was cool. using the water a burnout would be easy with your truck.

i also think your 60' should make 1.5's easy and 1.4's should be very possible.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:03 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Jim, I know that some of the fast (i.e. 9 second) Sy/Ty guys switched over to RWD. Some of it I'm sure is due to parts failure, but the big advantage is being able to run drag-style suspension setups and get good short times.

Is a 1.6x the limit of your setup? There will be a point that you just can't hook anymore. Will Caltracs make the front end unload at launch?

I hate having more questions that answers. I just hope you haven't reached the limit of your suspension setup. Prove me wrong.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:07 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Scream
Jim, I know that some of the fast (i.e. 9 second) Sy/Ty guys switched over to RWD. Some of it I'm sure is due to parts failure, but the big advantage is being able to run drag-style suspension setups and get good short times.

Is a 1.6x the limit of your setup? There will be a point that you just can't hook anymore. Will Caltracs make the front end unload at launch?

I hate having more questions that answers. I just hope you haven't reached the limit of your suspension setup. Prove me wrong.
I'm also curious about what the caltracs do to the frontend at launch.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:26 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am geting my plan from the sy/ty guys. there are several of them pulling 1.4's with their trucks. there is a way to adjust the caltac's so they dont provide a lot of front end lift, just use them to keep the rear from twisting and rolling up under the truck. the front end suspension limiters are nothing more than some type of cable or bump stop that keeps the front from lifting(suspension from droping).

here is how the problem was explained to me. when the truck launches the front lifts a lot. with the suspension droping so far down it is way out of alighnment, the tires are towed in and the camber is way off. both of these things effect the contact patch. then there is also the fact that the parts(steering and driveline) are much stronger when kept paralelle rather than a sharp angle downward. the steering will be less likely flex helping the tirs stay in alighnment better

so, keep the truck flat, keep the tires all flat and stable. keep the best contact patch i can and not worry about weight transfer. use some stickier tires too. i am 99% sure i can cut consistant 1.5x 60' times but pulling a 10sec run would be much easier with some 1.4's

seems like my mph would have to be in the 130's to get a 9sec run.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:28 PM
MOOBIES Moderator

That explains it. Thanks for the info man!
Old 10-20-2004, 04:53 PM
TECH Regular

sounds sick Jim. Definatly get the 4 wheel burnout on video!!
my truck is a 2wd, and even with caltracs its hard to get under a 1.9 with slicks, launching with a 150 shot. Im only using 27"tall slicks, and 3.42's

Keep up the good work!
Old 10-20-2004, 04:57 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Sounds like a plan Jim....

Remember when we also talked about a firmer shock for the rear to reduce squat also. Do they mention anything about that on those trucks? Or would you have to use a heavier spring rate?
Old 10-20-2004, 05:00 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by parish8
i am geting my plan from the sy/ty guys. there are several of them pulling 1.4's with their trucks. there is a way to adjust the caltac's so they dont provide a lot of front end lift, just use them to keep the rear from twisting and rolling up under the truck. the front end suspension limiters are nothing more than some type of cable or bump stop that keeps the front from lifting(suspension from droping).

here is how the problem was explained to me. when the truck launches the front lifts a lot. with the suspension droping so far down it is way out of alighnment, the tires are towed in and the camber is way off. both of these things effect the contact patch. then there is also the fact that the parts(steering and driveline) are much stronger when kept paralelle rather than a sharp angle downward. the steering will be less likely flex helping the tirs stay in alighnment better

so, keep the truck flat, keep the tires all flat and stable. keep the best contact patch i can and not worry about weight transfer. use some stickier tires too. i am 99% sure i can cut consistant 1.5x 60' times but pulling a 10sec run would be much easier with some 1.4's

seems like my mph would have to be in the 130's to get a 9sec run.
Does anybody make adjustable shocks for the front and rear?
You could crank the compression damping on the rear, and the rebound damping in the front. I wonder if that would help?

Quick Reply: 1.4 60' time?