Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Z71 ring gear question(Long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 07:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Z71 ring gear question(Long)

Hey Guys, I`m new to the forum. I`ve been lurking around in the LS1 forums for a while searching for info on the LS1 and 6 speed I`m building for my 69 camaro.
Anyway, I have a question related to my truck. I have a 99 Z71 extended cab that has 105,000 miles on it now. I haven`t any trouble with it at all until the other day. I was backing out of a parking space when I heard the right rear tire chirping. Then, when I put it into drive and went to drive off forward it was dragging the right rear tire. I blipped the gas pedal and it freed up the back tire and started rolling. I have noticed that when I come to a complete stop lately and take off that I feel alot of slop coming from the drivetrain. It feels like it`s coming from the rearend and I have been noticing some bit of clanking noises coming from back there. I did replace the ujoints over the summer. I forgot about that. I figured the factory junk locker was going out so I ordered a new Truetrac the other day and install kit. I figured I could get by without replacing the ring and pinion cause I was being a cheapwad. I have, however, replaced the tires over the summer with 285 BFG AT`s and I noticed a bit of power loss with them.
When I went to take off the ring gear on the old diff with my impact, I broke the bolts loose, but they didn`t come out. So I tried to retighten them and they just spin now. Have I stripped them out? That`s what I`m thinking. I`m also thinking I`m gonna have to go to the dealership in the morning and try and find a ring and pinion here in town. I figured that since I`m going to have to buy a new ring and pinion, then I should step up to a 3.90 or 4.10 from my factory 3.73. Should I and if so, what ratio do you guys suggest?
Sorry for the long post. Hope you guys can help me out ASAP. Thanks in advance
Old 01-15-2005, 10:18 AM
14 Second Truck Club

I am pretty sure the bolts are reverse thread, so you probably stripped them. As far as replacing the case, backlash is one of the most important settings in a rear for gear life, so you need a dial indicator to set that. Changing the case will change the backlash most times, and even .002" can make a difference with noise and durability.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bolts are left handed threads, so you need a new carrier. That sucks, but you should be able to find a used one on ebay or a salvage yard.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:52 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by blue by you
The bolts are left handed threads, so you need a new carrier. That sucks, but you should be able to find a used one on ebay or a salvage yard.
The carriers arent threaded, so he will only need a new gear set.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget you have to change the ratio in both the front and rear axle at the same time in order to use 4wd. if you realllllly wanted to, you could go deeper with the rear and then go deep with the front later, just as long as you don't use 4wd until then.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:53 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by PairOJugs
Don't forget you have to change the ratio in both the front and rear axle at the same time in order to use 4wd. if you realllllly wanted to, you could go deeper with the rear and then go deep with the front later, just as long as you don't use 4wd until then.
Good eye. I didnt even notice that part at the end of his post. Engage 4wd with different ratios- bye bye tranfer case.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:05 AM
Banned

Actually, that`s not true about having to change front and rear gears. The front gears in my truck are 4.10`s from the factory. I`ve already checked on that, so I can step up the rear gear. That is why you feel alot of binding in your drivetrain when your in 4wd on a dry surface. I have already bought a new Truetrac to replace the factory POS locker. That was what I was going to change out in the beginning. I setup a rearen about 9 years ago. That was the last one I did and I forgot all about the ring gear having reverse threads. Guess I should have read the destruction booklet. Oh well, I was wanting to put 3.90`s in there anyway, so this will be the best time because I have no choice now. Now that I`m going to have to order a gear set and the weekend is gone, I`m not going to have time to mess with this myself. Any idea what the time is on setting up a rearend for a mechanic? Thanks for your help guys
Old 01-16-2005, 01:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The front and rear gears have to match,yours did not come from the factory with 2 different gear ratio's
Old 01-16-2005, 08:45 AM
Banned

Absolutely not true
Old 01-16-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

On the code tag in your glove box it's says
GT5
and
GT4
what about G80?

If you really believe yours came with 2 different R&P ratios,you shoud leave any mechanical work needed to the pro's

Quick Reply: Z71 ring gear question(Long)