Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transmission started slipping, how long do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoveyBayou
I'd get a beast sun shell, not just a "better" one. Get one cheap off Orgeon Performance Transmissions and bring it to him.
Alright I'll do that. Thanks man
Old 04-13-2017, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced transfer case

Went to a pull a part a couple hours away for a 90 transfer case with a 1 month warranty because mine had shards of copper in it and wouldnt turn by hand. Got it on there and wouldn't go into gear. It looks like I had lost more atf than I thought as it wouldnt go into gear. Added fluid (3quarts) and was back on the road. Drove well for a half mile or so until I began to decelerate (coast) and I heard a sound like a chain rattling and soon noticed it slipping when I attempted to maintain velocity. After it would stop, it would go back into gear fine until it wouldnt the next day. Towed it back with a rope and started taking the at drain pan off till I realized that the atf may have been low again. Either a. Adding fluid today to see if it will go into gear or b. Removing the drain pan to look for pieces of gear (also grinding when not going into gear) or pieces from the transfer old transfer case.

Had a lot of distractions. It seems like all tries to get at ya when the jack stands come out. Have them help you by letting you focus on the vehicle. It could save them and you a lot of trouble.