Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transmission started slipping, how long do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what is causing It to slip, any specific part?
Would the "monster in a box" kit from monster transmissions replace or repair whatever is causing it to slip? Or would it be better to find a good 60e and build it instead of mine?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mud slinger
You have more ***** than me I guess. Once mine started to slip I started to baby it and I'm way to scared to go WOT.
Well the first couple times I did it near home to see if it was going to go out. I am sure the end is near for it, but for now it is doing fine.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Launching!

as they say..tick..tick...tick....BOOM!!! and $4400 for a built 60e...are you nuts!?!?!?!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:45 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one of those discussions that make me wonder about people. if i paid 4400 for a trans it had better be gold plated with a transbrake. i can get a 4l60 built here in texarkana for under a grand. my buddy is running one in his gto pushing 700 to rear wheels and running 10.2 in this heat. Mine is getting built as we speak but cant say a price on it cause i know the guy.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

Mine has been going on about 4 months like that and i put 60-70 miles a day on it. I have everything here at the shop to rebuild a extra trans i have just haven't had time.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not much longer if it is the 3-4 clutch pack. Maybe a few weeks. When the clutches break down it is like sandpaper being pumped through your transmission, not good at all. Might at well ship that converter to FLT to speed the process before it leaves you on the side of the road.

Yes, there is nothing cheap about it and if you are like me they go out in the most inconvient times. Put it on a credit card if you have to. Better to have a unit that is tried and true and will stand behind their warranty than risk it with a local builder.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

ill have my 65e for sale in a couple weeks, its in perfect shape. only 25k miles on it since it was rebuilt back to stock specs. shipping would be a pita though...
Old 06-15-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HoveyBayou
Not much longer if it is the 3-4 clutch pack. Maybe a few weeks. When the clutches break down it is like sandpaper being pumped through your transmission, not good at all. Might at well ship that converter to FLT to speed the process before it leaves you on the side of the road.

Yes, there is nothing cheap about it and if you are like me they go out in the most inconvient times. Put it on a credit card if you have to. Better to have a unit that is tried and true and will stand behind their warranty than risk it with a local builder.
There is no way I can afford a transmission from them, I wish I could though. I have a local guy that can build mine for 1k, but that was before it started to slip. Now I dont know what damage is done and if I will have to get another transmission instead of using mine. I almost have the money to go that route. I want to build it up as much as I can afford, but at the same time I dont think I have much more time to try and save up anymore.

Originally Posted by zachm89
ill have my 65e for sale in a couple weeks, its in perfect shape. only 25k miles on it since it was rebuilt back to stock specs. shipping would be a pita though...
Why did you have it rebuilt? How far away from dallas are you?
Old 06-15-2010, 06:10 PM

true 4400 is steep but i dont know anyone out here in cali. i priced many differnet places and they were all around 3k just for a basic re-build. back home i coulda got it for 1/3rd of the price where i know ppl i went to school with that have shops.. and no other place offerd more than a 1 yr 12000mi warrenty.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

How does this deal sound?
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/1789899919.html

Quick Reply: Transmission started slipping, how long do I have?