Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e and converter, who to buy from....reviews..? thoughts..?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 05:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 4l80e and converter, who to buy from....reviews..? thoughts..?

Lil story....I wanted to go sd tuned with my 1900 but before doing so i want to do a converter in my 2500hd. That way its all tuned and done. I talked to alot of converter shops, big names on here and almost all say a triple disc is needed. I also am afraid my 4l80e is going to go bad anytime and take out my 1k plus dollar converter. My current trans seems fine tho but at 140k it has alot on it. So here's the catch, do wait and buy a trans/converter combo...? Its more than i want to spend but it might be a better way in the long run. Here is what i was quoted today/yesterday.

Jakes stage 4 with multi disc converter, 1000hp trans(because of weight) 4400. and 1000. for converter. 5100. shipped if i take the older core. More if i want the newer style..

Performabuilt (2 choices) Talked to alan.... Heavy hauler with 2500 stall, stock type converter 3975. or Stage 3 trans with fti multi disc close to 5k.( 25 miles from my house) No core i'll take mine there. 2 year warranty

Gearstar talked to zack... Stage 2 with stage 3 clutches/yank triple disc converter 600hp trans 3500. shipped 3 year warranty

Flt spoke to chuck has a stage 2 trans and a stock style precision 2300 stall that would work also for this application with a 6 month warranty for under 3k shipped. A triple disc isn't really needed.

Local shop Vics transmissions will do a stage 2 for 600hp with a year warranty for 3500.00 (only tho with my core) said i don't need a triple disc and he can get what i need. They would get a larger stall from precision, stock style.

I still have 2 more places i am waiting for emails or calls back. If i go with jakes or gearstar i'll probably keep my 4l80 for another project then go thru the shipping and nonsense of sending it back. I don't see any negative reviews on jakes or gearstar, a few on performabuilt but they are 4l60's.

Last edited by flatblack83; 01-31-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Circle D for the converter. They also have a transmission shop.

When I was running my Whipple, I was using an RPM Level 7 (still in the truck) and an FTI 2800 single disk. Never gave me an issue up to 14psi.

You can use a single disk but only if you're not running at top speed with the converter locked. If you want to run top end with the converter locked, it's advisable to go triple disk.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:24 AM
TECH Regular

edit.... I called jakes to be sure today and i changed what i put above for them, that price tho will be hard to swallow...lol.. 5100 is alot of cash.

I was told a single disk also would work a few times, i just dont want it to be like i have now.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:00 AM
TECH Regular

I talked to chris at circle d yesterday, he suggested the 278mm converter, he said to be able to still tow properly and up to 10k thats the right converter. That the 1a will be a tight stall at 2700 rpms, thats 300 than i need to work good with my cam but i think it would work. It will be the same amount of work to do a trans and converter as it is to do just a converter, also it might be a piece of mind to do it all. Still tossing it up tho.... I guess it would come to flt or gearstar, flt i found alot of good reviews on ls1 tech and a few here and gearstar has quite a few real big ones.

Last edited by flatblack83; 02-01-2017 at 04:07 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:59 AM
TECH Regular

Talking to myself again..lol..

Like i said in my last post i narrowed it to two choices. After talking on the phone to these guys and going thru everything plus searches upon searches on reviews i came up with this. No more jakes, i wasn't impressed on the phone. Both of these below are around the same price shipped, one has a larger warranty and a fancier converter tho. Both of these will also be dynoed together.

Chuck @ flt speced the trans, stage 3. Chris @ circle d 278mm, will stall around 2700 and be all around good setup for daily driving and occasional towing. 6mo warranty

Zack @ Gearstar stage 3 with stage 4 clutches. Dave @ yank a pro truck multi disk 2800. Will be a perfect all around setup but will put the power down when needed. Will also be good up to 10k towing. 2 year warranty.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:06 AM
Laid Back

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd go with the Gearstar/Yank combo.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by flatblack83
I talked to chris at circle d yesterday, he suggested the 278mm converter, he said to be able to still tow properly and up to 10k thats the right converter. That the 1a will be a tight stall at 2700 rpms, thats 300 than i need to work good with my cam but i think it would work. It will be the same amount of work to do a trans and converter as it is to do just a converter, also it might be a piece of mind to do it all. Still tossing it up tho.... I guess it would come to flt or gearstar, flt i found alot of good reviews on ls1 tech and a few here and gearstar has quite a few real big ones.
I am dealing with Chris right now and he may retract what he said to you. My 05 is not lifted.... not blown.... runs 30" tall tires and otherwise gets around 1200 lbs added to it for weight. He told me to run the 2A 278 mm converter with mine... and I am. It's supposed to be around 3000 to 3200 max stall speed... I was hoping about 3000 rpm as my stock one was 2600. Yeah it flashes and foot brakes to 3600 rpm all day long..... and this is behind a tune/ efan and cat back otherwise stock LQ4..... I drove the truck with no additional weight and my cab is somewhat gutted( plastic console with no bose stuff in it and no rear seat in the cab as I carry gear back there) and it acted exactly as it does loaded.

With your heavy setup of tires.... and a blower.... that thing is going to slip above 2700 for sure. My truck is currently useless in my opinion to tow with or really do much of anything with..... hell if its cold ( like 0F or cooler) it won't even move without hitting around 2500 rpm..... not what I wanted. I can see this converter cooking my transmission when it's warm out as going slower and below any speed you lock the converter is a norm for me and the e fans only can cool the tranny cooler so much.

Chris is in the works of trying to make this right and that is very commendable but he is now recommending me a 300 mm converter they don't show on the site. Just a word of advice... and if you are serious I would ask him again as I am talking with him about starting yesterday.....
Old 02-05-2017, 12:08 PM
TECH Regular

I was told by a few guys now to stay away from the 278 and do a multi/triple disk converter instead. I'm not sure what to do, i appreciate the imput and thoughts. My truck is a 2500hd,lifted on 37s and probably over 6500lbs..The trans and converter i want to do once and good the 1st time. I need to stay with my rpms closer to what i need. No more than and at most 27-2800.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

I think for you it's a good move. Chris is being just awesome to deal with and I am in absolutely no way bashing Circle D..... hell I would say that if I am how he deals with customers they are someone I would go with. Customer service just doesn't exist anymore I find but this is not the case with them.

I am leaving the stock converter in my 04 2500 though with it's forged 370, isky cam, ported heads and TVS 2300..... just simpler lol. Be a much better setup for towing......and my stocker flashes 2600 rpm anyhow..
Old 02-05-2017, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

Honestly chuck at flt said abut what you are doing with your 2500hd. He said a level 3 and a stock style but a heavier duty 2500 stall. That way it's a good driver but the stall will be where I need.

Only changed to a level 4 when I said about a fancier converter. Like a multi/triple disk.