Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transgo HD2: dual fed direct drum?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

The three layer plate is transgo's simplified dual feed design. It doesn't work as well, but it still works. When I talked to the guy at transgo about it, he told me the kit was revamped years ago to make the install easier.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Revamped as opposed to what? Now that I think about it my transgo kit might have came with a 3 layer plate and I had ordered a transgo separator plate in addition to the shift kit because I wasn't aware the shift kit came with a new separator plate. I will have to dig out my shift kit box to verify this. Either way I know I have a single layer transgo separator plate installed and left out the reverse check ball as outlined in the instructions. Now I don't know what to think.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bringing this thread back... I have an HD-2 kit I was going to install but have done some searching and it looks like it is better to not use this kit to achieve the dual feed direct clutch? Does this mean I don't need to to use the 3-piece separator plate at all? What about drilling the holes for the shift firmness, can this be done with the stock or an HD separator plate? Is there anything else in the HD-2 kit that I should use?

If I'm not going to use the separator plate or the pressure relieve valve maybe it's best to sell/return the kit and just get a new separator plate and the Sonnax boost valve? The cost might end up the same but if they are better than the transgo kit then I'm all for it.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I would have read about all this prior to installing my hd2 kit now I feel I'm stuck....
Old 08-28-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Yukon04
I wish I would have read about all this prior to installing my hd2 kit now I feel I'm stuck....
I think the Transgo kit works fine, but it sounds like, according to this thread, that there are better ways to do it if you have the trans all apart. The Transgo kit was designed so that it can be installed with the trans in the vehicle. So it's made to be user/install friendly, which perhaps means making shortcuts or compromises.

What I'm curious about is...
If I do the above steps to achieve the dual feed direct clutch instead of the Transgo separator plate, and use the Sonnax boost valve instead of the Transgo valve, what else in the HD2 kit can/should I use?
Old 08-29-2013, 01:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Do you need to drill a bleed hole in the direct clutch drum for the internal dual feed mod?
Old 09-01-2013, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Do you need to drill a bleed hole in the direct clutch drum for the internal dual feed mod?
No its not needed. Some guys will drill a small .040 hole in the drum to help with keeping fluid out from behind the piston. However with using the springs that come in the kit from TG for the direct drum I do not feel its needed unless you have a trans brake.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Should I use the Transgo green and purple boost valve springs with the Sonnax self-regulating boost valve?
Old 10-25-2013, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

so is it a waste of time buying the HD2 kit? Ive been debating between the regular shift kit vs the HD2

my trans is out of the truck and getting taken apart for a rebuild so trying to find the best route
Old 10-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, if your dual feeding, ditch the HD2 kit.

Quick Reply: Transgo HD2: dual fed direct drum?