Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transgo HD2: dual fed direct drum?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

The old plate doesn't look too bad. I can always grab one tomorrow when I go to pick up parts. Intermediates have a few hot spots on the steels so might as well replace those. Not to mention piston travel is .115", which is out of spec... Probably drop a TH400 steel in to tighten it up.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smokeshow
You took it a step further leaving off those drum and center support seals in the old kit or the new kit? I saw the oil path in the triple plate, but it looked like a pressure leak so i figured i was missing something. Does the 3rd/rev circuit connected to the reverse circuit not apply the low/reverse band? In the old kit they plug that hole in the separator plate to prevent that pressure leak...
Yes with the old and new kit I always do the same thing with the dual feed mods. As mentioned by Corey use an original sep plate. Yes the rear band is applied with reverse oil that flows through the 1-2 shift valve then to the rear band servo.

Well ****, I just did steps 4 and 5...
Did you not read the pm I sent you on Saturday?

Question for you before I continue, Vince... I have the valve body that Jake's Performance sent me for my other 2006 trans. It doesn't have steps 4 and 5 from the Transgo instructions drilled into it Can I use that valve body? Are there any differences other than the different style EPC? I'd love to be able to use the brand new VB on this trans.
Sure I can not see why not. I would look closely at it to see what has been done to it and as I said in the pm I would have tried it in the first place before buying the tg kit. The epc is not an issue. Swapped them all the time and personally I like the early epc better. I'm curious is the ball for the low/reverse is in this VB. I can not see an issue with it not being in there or being there for that matter when the seals are left off the drum and center support.

The old plate doesn't look too bad. I can always grab one tomorrow when I go to pick up parts. Intermediates have a few hot spots on the steels so might as well replace those. Not to mention piston travel is .115", which is out of spec... Probably drop a TH400 steel in to tighten it up.
Yes dropping a 400 steel in there is exactly what I would do for the first plate. Keep in mind that the intermediate does not need to be overly tight but within spec's for sure.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Mod with training wheels

Thanks Vince! No I did not get your PM...I get hounded with lots of them, must have missed it. I will make sure that check ball is in the VB and get it stitched up!
Old 08-28-2012, 02:33 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Just curious what you guys thought about using the Transgo separator plate???
Old 08-28-2012, 05:55 AM
Mod with training wheels

I dunno man...the orifice for that reverse fluid re-route is tiny. With the method Corey posted about, it receives a lot more fluid in reverse. The plate also seems like it might be leak prone as well because reverse line pressure is real high and there's no real seal for that oil passage in the plate aside from just squeezing the plates together.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:03 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

I dunno man...the orifice for that reverse fluid re-route is tiny. With the method Corey posted about, it receives a lot more fluid in reverse. The plate also seems like it might be leak prone as well because reverse line pressure is real high and there's no real seal for that oil passage in the plate aside from just squeezing the plates together.
It was also my understanding that both of those reasons were why the Transgo plates were not used. It eliminates the possibility of leaks between the plates and increases fluid flow. I am preparing for my 80E build also.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:37 AM
Mod with training wheels

Welp, I got it all put together. Took a couple days to get parts. I hope you guys didn't make any typos, because I followed your instructions exactly!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:53 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Well does it work?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:12 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, sucks reading this! I just got done installing my new trans WITH the HD-2 kit... Oh well, it works too lol
Old 08-29-2012, 07:47 AM
Laid Back

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good thread! Gives me some ideas on what to do for my next build.

Quick Reply: Transgo HD2: dual fed direct drum?