Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Time For a New Driveline

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time For a New Driveline

Well, I ended up running the crewcab at the track and on the second run my driveline snapped in two. I think I was more bummed out than anything. I had a great time while it lasted but now I need a driveline. I think the three options I will be looking into are a two-piece conversion from an extra cab, a custom or find a stocker and get it high speed balanced and call it good. Anyone have any suggestions.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Get a custom made drive-shaft. If you are putting down the power in your sig, it will be worth every penny.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

OK so I have called all the local driveline shops and no one can make a custom one piece due to the length. The standard ½ ton 2WD crewcab driveline is a 5" dia x .0825 wall thickness x approximately 82" long so steel is out of the question as well. GM Parts direct has the driveline (propeller shaft they call it) for $389 new and I have checked with the wrecking yards and no one has a 1 piece driveline so I can at least get it to a shop for the change over. I guess I need to bite the bullet and get an ECSB driveline and fab up a bearing crossmember.

Has anyone done the conversion, if so how did you mount the crossmember? I have searched here and GMFS for more info and only found a couple of people mentioning the conversion without much detail.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I havent converterd but I'll say with the setup I have my stock ECSB shafts have held fine.... I've broken a couple U joints through the years but I still have the factory steel shafts in the truck... I'll replace them one day but theyre holding fine now.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:03 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you call the shop in south San Jose that I mentioned?
Old 10-12-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

I couldn't remember the name of the shop but I did call South Bay Drive Line. Not much they could do without having the truck there and didn’t recommend another one-piece driveline if I had problems already. I don't know if that was the place you mentioned but the other shops I found were Denny’s Driveshafts and a local place called Sacramento Driveline Service. Denny’s Driveshafts seemed to be the most performance oriented shop and recommended any length over a 64" should be converted to a two-piece if I had any expectations for durability. I did manage to find a two-piece ECSB driveline and took some reference measurements so I can fab a bracket for the carrier bearing. I was hoping to get some peoples input on their own experiences with this conversion and hoe they attached the carrier bearing.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:13 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah it was South Bay Drive Line I told you about. Dennys has great reputation, where are they?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

Denny's is in New York. Shipping would about kill that deal but I think if I can find a local shop to high speed balance the stock unit I'll be in alot better shape than breaking another one piece.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

stock 2 piece steel ftw
Old 10-17-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Well Here is the progress so far. I picked up with an ECSB driveline from the GM recyclers and took a few measurements from an ECSB to assist me along the way. I worked on this for about 6 hours today and here is what I have so far. I hope this helps someone in the future since there is not a whole lot of information out there for converting the CCSB to a 2-piece that I have been able to find.
Here is the crossmember. 1"x3" rectangle tube, 3"x3" square tube and 1/2" tube.

Here is the crossmember during a test fit in the truck .

The next step is to relocate the evap canister and take it for a test drive.

Quick Reply: Time For a New Driveline