Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Placement of Jack Stands...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Placement of Jack Stands...

Gonna rotate my tires for the first time and don't know where the best place would be to put the jack stands...??? ( I know under the truck...I can already hear that one coming at me)
Old 05-10-2005, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

front under frame horns, rear under axle where u bolts are
Old 05-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Cool thanks!!!
Old 05-20-2005, 08:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mjgjr72
front under frame horns, rear under axle where u bolts are
Ok I jacked it up last night, didn't know what frame horns were but figured I would be able to figure out what they were when I got under there...wrong...in the back, the sway bar is right under the axle so I didn't know if it was safe to put it under there, don't know if the sway bar can take the weight of the truck.

I ended up putting them under the frame rails just behind the front tires and just in front of the rear tires...but would like to find a place where the weight of the truck is resting inside the saddle of the jack stand instead of the tops of them...

I know this might sound stupid but if you can take a pic of where they need to be I would appreciate it.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Carlos
Ok I jacked it up last night, didn't know what frame horns were but figured I would be able to figure out what they were when I got under there...wrong...in the back, the sway bar is right under the axle so I didn't know if it was safe to put it under there, don't know if the sway bar can take the weight of the truck.

I ended up putting them under the frame rails just behind the front tires and just in front of the rear tires...but would like to find a place where the weight of the truck is resting inside the saddle of the jack stand instead of the tops of them...

I know this might sound stupid but if you can take a pic of where they need to be I would appreciate it.
I use the same spot in front. In back, I use the axle but you have to rotate the jack stand about 45 degrees to get it to sit on the axle and not the sway bar mount. If placed correctly, it touches nothing but the axle.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

You know,at first this may sound like a stupid thread, but the frames do seem a little different on the newer trucks. I had to look hard, but I found the best place in the rear is on the frame right at the front of the spring hanger. The rise of the frame, and the bracket for the spring kind of make a natural cradle. The kickup on these frames is so far forward, that if you use a flat spot on the frame, it's too far forward to get any weight off the rear wheels.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

On the fronts, just about at the rear of the wheelhouse on the frame is a jack stand support where the frame comes up. If all else fails RTFM. It will show you where the jacking points are for changing a flat tire, just put the jack stands there.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LOW2000
On the fronts, just about at the rear of the wheelhouse on the frame is a jack stand support where the frame comes up. If all else fails RTFM. It will show you where the jacking points are for changing a flat tire, just put the jack stands there.
i did read the manual and it doesn't even show you a pic of where it goes...it just points to an area just behind the wheel, which is where i put them, but like i said the weight of the truck was resting on the tops of the jack stands not in the saddle or the middle of them...