PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

The Comeback: Phantom's ShopTruck project 2001 Sierra

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default The Comeback: Phantom's ShopTruck project 2001 Sierra

Well, my last project, ChiChi, met its firey demise 12-18-17. Don't ask what happened as I don't 100% know. You're welcome to make your own assessment lol

These trucks are getting harder and harder to find in good shape, even if you're willing to pay a little extra. For a month, I searched all over the country looking for a replacement. Then, one day I just happen to fall into the truck I wanted since the day we finished building it.

I introduce you all to, ShopTruck.

It's a 2001 GMC Sierra. My buddy and I built this truck back in 2013. Started out life (as we knew it) as a real pile with a need for lots of body work, a 4.8 and no transmission. We went to a local salvage yard and picked up a 4l80 with converter out of an old at&t van so he could drive it. The stock 4.8 on the bottle obviously wasn't cutting it so he decided to build a healthy 408. We pulled the 4.8 while waiting for the 408 build and had his dad do all the body work to make this thing look new again.

Fast forward to January 9, 2018. It is now mine! When we picked it back up, it wouldn't start, the Bogarts that my buddy had put on it were sold for $300 and it was sitting on chrome stock bullet holes, and the truck was just an all around mess. So we took it back to the shop, pulled the intake, cleaned the intake runners, intake, injectors, put new plugs in and fired right up! Also put the late model silverado wheels and tires I had from my other truck on it while we were there

It set a little higher in the back end than I like. Luckily, the rear end from my truck wasn't damaged in the fire. So we took it out and put it in this truck.

Now that it was running and looking better, I was able to start working on the tune since it was never really finished before. Did a bunch of drivability tuning and got it driving very nicely. Then decided to go WOT...120% IDC. Since I couldn't really remember what we did for the fuel system 5 years ago, I decided to just replace it all. I had #95 injectors, 450 pump, and 10 micron filter from Deatschwerks left over from what I planned to do with my last build, so I through it all in this truck. New fuel system front to back with -8 feed and return. It was a trick to get two -8 bulkheads in the stock bucket. Wish I would have taken some pics of that as it actually turned out nice.

3 of the 4 Bogarts survived the fire. I sent those 3 back to Bogart to be checked out and repolished and have a new front built. Got them back and wrapped in 28x6-17 Sportsman SR and 275pro drag radials

Haven't really had alot of time to mess it recently as its either been too cold or we've been too busy. I did manage to sneak it in on one of our track rentals and make one pass. I was so excited to just finally get this truck down the track, I didn't even check tire pressure. It was somewhere around 30psi lol. Anyways, managed a 1.72 7.65 at 91mph. Would prolly translate into a high 11.9x at around 115mph. Pretty much exactly what I expected with what I'm working with currently.

Current setup:
11.5:1ish 408
SDPC L92 heads
ebay 3.5 CAI
Vic Jr.
elbow with 92mm ebay tb
91 octane
1.75" pacesetter headers
crush bend 3" dual exhaust
bone stock 4L80 with single disk converter that flashes to 4200ish rpm
8.6 10bolt with Yukon helical posi, Yukon 4.11 gears, and Yukon axles
Flipped with 2" shackles out back
Cal-Tracs
Lowered with springs and spindles up front
Custom Kicker stereo system with 2 10" subs, amp, equalizer, and in-dash dvd/nav
Truck weighs 4520 with me and 1/4 tank of gas

I actually loaded the truck on the trailer to take to the track a couple weeks ago. Only reason for trailering it was I planned to spray it and I don't trust the 10bolt even though it has nice parts in it lol. Electrical gremlins kept me doing anything cool though

Old 04-01-2018, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

I have a bunch of parts already accumulated for this truck just haven't had time to really mess with it.

Plans:
1 7/8" headers
3" mandrel bent exhaust with x-pipe
Rossler 4L80 with transbrake
Protorque triple disk converter
Custom 4" (real) cold air intake
Quick Performance 9" rear end with 40 spline axles, aluminum center section, 4.30 gears, and Wilwood brakes
Nitrous Express single entry crossbar with Max 5 Controller

I also installed a Safecraft PB3 fire extinguisher on the trans tunnel. I atleast want to have a fighting chance if I'm ever to experience another fire

My immediate goals with the truck are to get all the new parts installed. I'd like to run 11.50s on motor and give it just a little sniff of nitrous to get into the 10's
Old 04-01-2018, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

4.3 V6 my butt!! (Instagram) lol
Very nice truck. Isn’t this the one Shawn’s swinging in on an old YouTube video?
Old 04-02-2018, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 06 4.8
4.3 V6 my butt!! (Instagram) lol
Very nice truck. Isn’t this the one Shawn’s swinging in on an old YouTube video?
Not sure about YouTube but yes this is his old truck
Old 04-02-2018, 12:49 PM

Received 218 Likes on 147 Posts

looks better than chi chi. check out the link below. I think it's worth checking into. A buddy just picked one up for his coupe, and it looks extremely nice. I nearly **** when he said gets them on ebay for 160. I've seen claims of 40+ hp gains on N/A applications by dumping the elbows. I really think more N/A and Nitrous guys here in the truck world should look deeper into the vic-jr and 4150 throttle bodies instead of blowing their wads on junky *** lazy throttle response fast intakes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1200-Cfm-4-...-/301939905366
Old 04-03-2018, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

So sweet, i really enjoyed the last build you had.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

Stuck it on the dyno today to make a quick pull just to see where it’s at currently. Made pretty much exactly what I figured based on the mph/weight at the track. I honestly figured it’d make the power higher though based on what the camshaft is suppose to be. Suppose to make power up to around 8k. It’s is promising though that I could see big gains with the new exhaust/induction setup

11.5:1ish 408
SDPC L92 Heads
1 3/4” headers
Crush bend dual 3” exhaust
Vic jr intake with elbow
92mm Tb
eBay 3.5” cai
91 octane

Old 04-05-2018, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don’t see 500 being out of the question at all with a true 4”+ intake and 1 7/8 and a true 3” dual setup or maybe even a single 4” exhaust
Old 04-05-2018, 11:18 PM

Received 218 Likes on 147 Posts

Screw an intake. 4150 or nothing (unless its turbo). A4" intake will probably flow more than that elbow which makes the biggest best intake pointless. Im sure it could use larger/better exhaust.

What is the cam supposed to be? I doubt there are many off the shelf cams for a single plane with ported square ports. Ive never looked though. Im sure howards has one.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
Screw an intake. 4150 or nothing (unless its turbo). A4" intake will probably flow more than that elbow which makes the biggest best intake pointless. Im sure it could use larger/better exhaust.

What is the cam supposed to be? I doubt there are many off the shelf cams for a single plane with ported square ports. Ive never looked though. Im sure howards has one.
It’s nothing off the shelf. It was spec’d by Reher and Morrison when we built the motor. I don’t know the specs, just remember telling them we wanted to spin this thing up there. I’d honestly like to tear the motor and change a few things about it so I know exactly what I have (lifters, springs, new rings, oil pump)

Not ruling out the 4150. But I’m definitely going to try the elbow with a 4-5” intake getting actual cold air. If the 4150 is worth 20-40 hp that people claim, it can stay. If it’s 5-10, I’ll stick with the intake/tb/elbow with some filtration. It’ll be fun to experiment for sure