Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

New rebuilt 80e no reverse and slipping

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 06:46 PM
SPAM HUNTER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rebuilt 80e no reverse and slipping

First if your going to bash the builder get the **** out.

I Finished up the swap and got the driveshaft today go to shift have drive 3 2 1 but no reverse, i spoke to a sponser (will not mention any names) and he gave me some help and says its something internal, can i get a list of the problems that could cause the 80e no reverse issue?

Next i tried to just get it home from the shop (i had the forward gears) and its only like 2 miles so i start out 1st good, into 2nd, 3rd feels like it slips then it went finally, then i fell lock up (stock 50mph) and when it hits 4th it was like it was slipping in and out so i just let out and got it back to the shop.

Temp on EFI live only got to 160 cruising, the 2500 gm high stall roadrunner converter is all the 2500 and then some...again the sponser thinks that was low fluid but i said screw it, it needs to be checked out anyways and gave up.

Little bit of a rant/ list of issues

Specs are

1998 80e 2wd

Rebuilt with the Premium Overhaul Race Kit Box with Kolene¨ Steels from hughes and used new GM 4th gear steeles as recommended since the kit doesnt have them

Stock hard parts

HD sprag

transgo 2 with medium shift kit

GM highstall rebuilt by roadrunner converter.

Lastly is this something that any trans shop can look at or even i can look at, i am a mechanic just not into the automatics. Or should i ship it back to the builder which i have yet to get a call from...damnit...
Old 06-25-2010, 07:44 PM
Launching!

is the builder close to you? if you have someone else dig into it im sure whatever warranty you had will be out the door.

does it slip in 3rd at all?
Old 06-25-2010, 08:12 PM
SPAM HUNTER

yes but its hard to tell it went in but didnt go right in.

Last edited by 2005 Silverado; 06-25-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:34 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluchev
is the builder close to you? if you have someone else dig into it im sure whatever warranty you had will be out the door.

does it slip in 3rd at all?
+1, don't let anyone tear into it before you talk to the builder, I know that if it were me who built it and I got it after someone else whored it up I'd be not only pissed but frustrated as it's harder to diagnose once someone else has been in there...
Old 06-25-2010, 08:38 PM
SPAM HUNTER

Hes far away, and if its something simple i will look at it, im why im wanting some input of some easy **** to look at, soleniods, piston, ect...just so i can see if can be fixed without shipping it.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Teching In

no reverse...

Case - rear band anchor pin broken or not positioned
Center support - leaking at case or broken
Center support seal leaking
Center support bolt loose, broken or feed hole blocked
Rear band broken worn or not anchored
Rear band apply pin broken worn or not anchored
Rear servo piston binding in case, seal leaking, damaged or worn
servo cover gasket leaking or displaced
servo cover damaged or bolts missing
Check ball missing

list of causes i have found...i think that's from the atsg manual...but unsure as i don't have my book atm
Old 06-25-2010, 09:06 PM
SPAM HUNTER

i found that list to...im meaning easy quick things that can be checked with the pan off not the trans out...trying to avoid pulling it, i think the 3rd gear slip was low fluid, i dont think every part of the trans had filled up yet so it was starved for fluid that made sense to me it was slowly getting better and better driving forward but i didnt want to keep adding fluid to see when i had to drain it anyways.

Trending Topics

Old 06-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Launching!

well since it wasnt full of fluid in the first place WTF were you doing driving it?

not smart.

fill the thing up and retest.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Teching In

hah yeah sorry dont know much about autos yet..but learning will see if i can dig up a flow chart for the 80e
Old 06-25-2010, 09:15 PM
SPAM HUNTER

Originally Posted by bluchev
well since it wasnt full of fluid in the first place WTF were you doing driving it?

not smart.

fill the thing up and retest.
I had 16 quarts of fluid in it, shifted it into every gear several times, and let it heat up, when i drove it it showed full on the dipstick. When i got back it wasnt, but i figured i would have to figure out reverse anyways so i left it.

Not my first rodeo, not trying to be a **** ant just saying.

I think im going to just check all the noids tomorrow, check the reverse piston, a and fill it back up and run it on jack stands to see if i can get the forward gears either working, or get a true symptom...just dont want to ship it for something that i could have looked at.

Quick Reply: New rebuilt 80e no reverse and slipping