Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

New rebuilt 80e no reverse and slipping

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well if it had 16 in it initially it shouldve been full. if it wasnt full when you got back i would check for leaks. thats where i would start. if the problem is still there when it is full of fluid i would start checking other stuff out.

you could pull the valvebody and then pull the rear servo cover off to check and see if its cracked. if you dont find anything there then id say the unit most likely has to come out.

but like i said if you start dicking around with it before you talk to the builder i wouldnt expect much help from them.

good luck.

oh what was the reason for the overhaul initially? no reverse?
Old 06-25-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like u put it in full then the converter took some? filled it back up after that right?

those are exact symptoms I had with my 80 that I assumed was bad. Let me know what you find out Dustin
Old 06-25-2010, 10:32 PM
SPAM HUNTER

Originally Posted by bluchev
well if it had 16 in it initially it shouldve been full. if it wasnt full when you got back i would check for leaks. thats where i would start. if the problem is still there when it is full of fluid i would start checking other stuff out.

you could pull the valvebody and then pull the rear servo cover off to check and see if its cracked. if you dont find anything there then id say the unit most likely has to come out.

but like i said if you start dicking around with it before you talk to the builder i wouldnt expect much help from them.

good luck.

oh what was the reason for the overhaul initially? no reverse?
Getting it ready for the swap, but i pulled this unit from a 98 gmc van for slipping at my old work and kept it and sent the original 4l80e i had with a repaired case to gm for a core.

I know the builder would not mind me pulling SIMPLE parts off and putting them back in to check im hearing alot about the servos being cracked i might check there.

Other then that i am going to fill it all back up and like i said run it and run it and run it (on jack stands until its for sure full and see what all happens.

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8
sounds like u put it in full then the converter took some? filled it back up after that right?

those are exact symptoms I had with my 80 that I assumed was bad. Let me know what you find out Dustin
What where your exact symptoms?
Old 06-26-2010, 11:36 PM
SPAM HUNTER

Checked the reverse servo at the builders request only think i found was nothing. Filled it back up, ran it on jack stands for a while through all gears, and checked the fluid several times right now its about a 1/2 quart over, i did this to see if i could drive it and make it go down, but it didnt in the trip up the block and back.

Symptoms on jack stands when in reverse i have to rev it up and it will start to spin the wheels then stop.

Driving up the block, goes fine at first when it shifts to third before it will it revs up then it will finally go in, and if you stop and finally get it to go into first manually it feels bound up and wont move easily, then if you stop and try to go like from a stop sign it feels like its in 3rd or one of the higher gears.

Im pulling it next week to send it back...last time i will have a non sponsor build me a trans. I know the guy had built several transmissions just like this and i know all of them worked out fine but its just the time i have wasted now who knows what else is wrong.

Ill keep updated with whats up.