Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

My 4L80e Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 01:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool man. I sent him a quick email today asking about parts and about his D3 brake and got a response within minutes. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on all his parts verses the CK stuff. Sounds like when I buy his brake, it comes with all the valve body upgrades and goodies needed so I won't need to mess with the transgo kit at all. I'll get him on the phone and talk over my build before I pull the trigger on everything but the trans brake is a must for me.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oakley6575
Cool man. I sent him a quick email today asking about parts and about his D3 brake and got a response within minutes. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on all his parts verses the CK stuff. Sounds like when I buy his brake, it comes with all the valve body upgrades and goodies needed so I won't need to mess with the transgo kit at all. I'll get him on the phone and talk over my build before I pull the trigger on everything but the trans brake is a must for me.

Go for it man.. I wanted the transbrake as well and may get it at a later date. He talked me out of it since my truck is my only mode of transportaion and I do use it as a truck from time to time to haul stuff and such. The way I understood it is every time you put the tranny in reverse you have to hold the transbrake button.. what a pita when trying to back up and spotting a trailer.. Just my 2 cents worth.. Tell em West sent ya...lol and ask Justin about his Tundra.. He likes talking about it. Cool truck though.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

I saw that in the install directions. I figured since it only needs a 12v source, I could just hook the reverse switch up in line and it would work normally. Am I wrong there?

My truck is also a street truck so I would need to figure out how to get around that.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:01 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Street truck with a trans brake...are you sure?
Old 04-22-2015, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Usually 40-50 miles a day when I'm home and not working on it.

What are the reasons not to put the transbrake in the truck while I'm there if I'm going to be street driving 90% of the time. I see the issue of having to engage the brake when in reverse. Like I stated before, I think I can wire it up so its not an issue. And another reason is that the brake CAN engage in any forward gear. That would leave the possibility of accidentally engaging the brake driving down the road and breaking **** . I think the fix for that is running either a toggle switch to the brake instead of a momentary switch. Or an arming switch before the momentary button. That should keep it safe.

But what else am I missing? Just don't want to put the brake in and regret it since all I really do is street drive. Reliability is a big factor.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Stock48 went 9s off the footbrake, seems like a good enough reason for me to not spend the extra on the transbrake. But, I also wasn't aware about having to disable it every time in reverse. Not a huge deal honoestly, but I'd talk with Jake about the advantages and disadvantages.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Foose is running a brake and he tows his boat so everyone can STFU

I'm probably going to run one regardless. I've have zero experience with them and that is mostly why it will be worth it to me. I love changing my set up so changing it in direction that will allow me to go fast one day isn't a bad thing imo.

GMCtrk, I think you would see why I want a brake if you drove my truck. I know I can have a converter built that would allow me to footbrake fairly high but this 4.8L is just stupid slow off the line. I think it is better to do the brake, and have a converter built for my 408ci engine since that will be swapped soon enough. That way I'm not changing everything again when I do the swap.

Also I can go with a D1 brake so I wouldn't have to apply the brake in reverse but then the brake only will apply in manual low. I'd like the computer to shift the trans by itself if possible so that's the only thing that shy'd me away.

Last edited by oakley6575; 04-22-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We use a lot of jake's d3 brakes on 80e, never had any problems and works great.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Does everyone completely disassemble the sub assemblies? Any reason to take the over run assemblies here down anymore? Or should I just soak and clean them as is?

Name:  EE38362E-6399-4D3A-A2B5-A04AF281FFA5_zpsbdplwx8x.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  167.7 KB
Old 04-28-2015, 06:06 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I did.

Quick Reply: My 4L80e Build Thread