Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Lowered Rear with shock extensions

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lowered Rear with shock extensions

Guys,
I am having trouble with my shock extensions. I have the shock extensions on both mounts. One came with the DJM Rear lowering kit and the other is a Hotchkis (sp?) piece.

Problem I have is that over time they loosen and will move upward with suspension travel, not allowing the shock to control rebound. It's almost like my shocks are too short and over time pulling them up and loose. The DJM kit actually came with a bolt that tied it into the rear end bracket and it looks like this bolt has been stretched.

Is there a proper way to measure what lenght shock you need?

Has anybody ever run into what I am described.

What shocks are guys with 4-5 inch dropped rears running?
Old 10-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wish i could help ya...but I have no clue. I only wanted to post to let ya know once you break 12 seconds in the 1/4 mile you DO realize no body is gonna help you anymore right? Espcially in the under 11.8. Hell look at Wilde Racing, he doesn't even post up anymore. LOL
Old 10-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Need More N2O Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first are your bolts grade 8? are you using the nuts that have the nylon lock ring on the end of them? if not use them. if not just weld them and bolt them. to measure shocks you will want to flex the suspension as much as you can and measure the compressed side and the side thats extended. then you will have to find a shock that will be long enough to for the suspension to extend and not over extend the shock and short enough for the suspension to compress with out bottoming out
Old 10-29-2007, 01:03 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Im running ground force nitro drop shocks for a 2-2 drop on a SS The parts numbers I think were 70042 and 70043. I believe the 70043 was for the rear? All the way extended they were around 4" shorter than the stock Z-71 shocks.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mwalls54
first are your bolts grade 8? are you using the nuts that have the nylon lock ring on the end of them? if not use them. if not just weld them and bolt them. to measure shocks you will want to flex the suspension as much as you can and measure the compressed side and the side thats extended. then you will have to find a shock that will be long enough to for the suspension to extend and not over extend the shock and short enough for the suspension to compress with out bottoming out
I do know that with the frame on jack stands and wheels off the ground that I had to jack up the rear just a smidge to get one shock to bolt up. Thats what makes me think the shock is to short.

I'm just using what bolts came with the kit. They are G8 best I remember but no nylock. I had though about welding them since I don't think I will ever return the suspension to stock.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WJ MARK
Im running ground force nitro drop shocks for a 2-2 drop on a SS The parts numbers I think were 70042 and 70043. I believe the 70043 was for the rear? All the way extended they were around 4" shorter than the stock Z-71 shocks.
Wish I had kept the stock shocks. Makes sense that I should be able to measure current shock to stock to get an idea for the length.

I'll look the nitro part numbers up to see I can get dimensions on them. Thanks,
Old 10-29-2007, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
wish i could help ya...but I have no clue. I only wanted to post to let ya know once you break 12 seconds in the 1/4 mile you DO realize no body is gonna help you anymore right? Espcially in the under 11.8. Hell look at Wilde Racing, he doesn't even post up anymore. LOL
Name:  baby.gif
Views: 579
Size:  236.7 KB

Go work on that truck of yours
Old 10-29-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same problem and just welded them up. Also im using doetsch tech shocks.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:54 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I think when I did mine, DJM said only the passenger side needed an extension. I was the told the extension was to correct the angle, not increase the suspension travel. I think I have 2 different shocks on my truck, 1 being 1" longer than the other.

I also welded mine because it kept on messing up the bolt. I will try to get a pic for ya.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

If the shock becomes fully extended the shock is going to pull on the attachment points(bolts/hanger bracet, etc.) You should measure the fully extended length of the OEM shock eye to eye. If you did a 4" drop the new shock should be that much shorter. The DJM comes with an extender on one side so that side would be shorter by the amount of drop minus the length of the entender.