Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Lowered 4wd: Anyone using a "Straight" Center link / Drag Link?

Old 01-27-2014, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowered 4wd: Anyone using a "Straight" Center link / Drag Link?

Any of you lowered 4wd 1500 owners out there using a Straight Center link (or drag link as some call it)?

I see a LOT of Duramax guys are, and I feel it would benefit us lowered 4x4 truck owners even more, maybe even help bumpsteer and tire scrub (where it seems to instead cause it on lifted trucks).
On my Silverado, the stock centerlink/drag link is offset and bent downward, then the stock tie-rods have to make an extreme angle back upward from the down swept center link to reach the raised outer TRE mount on the spindle at ride height... not only putting the stock tie-rods at a harsh angle (I know I can do heim steering but not my topic of concern in this thread), but also seems contradictory in where the stock center link is trying to aim versus where the tie-rods actually have to now go when lowered 4"+ up front.
Where now my train of thought is taking me, in my head I could see a straight center link aiming those tie-rods a LOT straighter, and also possibly matching the angle (Ackerman??) of my DJM LCA's a bit better too; Therefore reducing bumpsteer and tire scrub! Hopefully, haha.
Sound logical, or no?

So, maybe I should first ask; Are the center links like those from PPE and Super Diesel, etc. something we can fit on our 1500's???
I see conflicting answers out there on the net.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:06 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't believe they will interchange. For the life of me, I can't remember what the issue was though.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Hmmm, well that's discouraging...
I don't want to post any links as I'm not sure any of the companies are vendors here, but the PPE brand straight center link in particular lists compatibility with my truck... not sure to believe it though and what lead me to start this thread.
What about tie-rods? Or is it just the reinforcing sleeves that are sometimes cross compatible between 6 & 8lug?

Oh, and I guess I should clarify that I'm asking about GMT-800 "NBS" here... if that matters.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the DJM 3/5 drop kit, a crank it up straight centerlink, stock tie rods with sleeves. Had 420s and when turning in parking lot it would eat up the sides of my tires. If I had to do it again I would do idler/pitman arm supports and sleeves. That bend in the centerlink leans your tires when doing low level turns.

I can't remember the angles of my tie rods. I did it December 2011. I do believe it helped a little on angles.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rickettzusaf
I had the DJM 3/5 drop kit, a crank it up straight centerlink, stock tie rods with sleeves. Had 420s and when turning in parking lot it would eat up the sides of my tires. If I had to do it again I would do idler/pitman arm supports and sleeves. That bend in the centerlink leans your tires when doing low level turns.

I can't remember the angles of my tie rods. I did it December 2011. I do believe it helped a little on angles.

Have any photos? I'm not familiar with that particular centerlink, was it designed and marketed specifically for the 1500's?
What material is the Crank It Up link made of? Stainless? Or?

I already have cognito PISK on both of my trucks and I like it, but just looking to further improve in other areas and lessen the bit of bumpsteer that I have left.

Last edited by ShredSled; 01-27-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:12 PM
Teching In

I can't find any currently and I sold the truck back in September. It was powder coated black. But cheapest I could find. Strong enough to hold up to 11 psi launches resulting in a 1.72 60' on 20x9 wheels with 285/50 tires in a 6,900 lb truck. Crank it up diesel has their website with them on it. If I find any pictures I'll post them up.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rickettzusaf
I can't find any currently and I sold the truck back in September. It was powder coated black. But cheapest I could find. Strong enough to hold up to 11 psi launches resulting in a 1.72 60' on 20x9 wheels with 285/50 tires in a 6,900 lb truck. Crank it up diesel has their website with them on it. If I find any pictures I'll post them up.

Oh, so this was actually on a Duramax then, huh??
Well... back to square one.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Are your tie rods on the top of the spindle? If they are try moving them to the bottom.

Tie Rod Flip Kit - Page 2 - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums
Old 01-27-2014, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

I'm fairly certain that would increase my bumpsteer. It seems that difference would be far greater a movement than going to a straight centerlink. Only need a little bit, and if it were raised too much with the straight centerlink I could always go to heim steering and raise the outer stud to fine tune angle to match the plane of the LCA.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:27 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

any updates on this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowered 4wd: Anyone using a "Straight" Center link / Drag Link?