Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

How I'm solving the plastic clutch pedal issue.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How I'm solving the plastic clutch pedal issue.

I have attached a few pictures of my current progress on my custom clutch pedal for my truck.

It's based on the 1998 clutch pedal assembly (the older stuff is nolonger available from the dealership). I used the pedal bracket and arm as my basis and went from there.

I cut the firewall face of the bracket off and welded up a new face that would provide bolts/studs for my Wilwood master cylinder to mount to. I also made a plate that goes on the engine compartment side of the firewall that severs two purposes, to strengthen and to make the holes more precise. Yesterday I had the whole assembly (bracket and master) mounted in the truck and it fits like it could have been factory installed.

The master had to be machined down and a 6AN fitting welded in place of the "reservoir cup" in order to clear the throttle control box/module. The clutch line is a leftover from my camaro and comes from the McLeod master cylinder that was on it. I'll need to simply get a short line to extend it and it will clip directly into the factory f-body slave. I'm going tomorrow to get the factory remote reservoir from an f-body clutch master to use on this setup.

The steel pedal arm has been cut up drastically (will post pictures after I'm finished with it). I'm making it exactly resemble the plastic pedal's routing in order to clear the junction boxes under the dash. Just need a piece of steel bar to finish it up tomorrow.

Overall, the project it going along quite nicely. I ordered a set of ball bearings from McMaster that I'm going to use on the pivot in place of the factory plastic sleeve. This will provide for a much smoother pedal feel over the greased bolt. It's being a lot of work but knowing I'll NEVER have to replace any of these parts ever again is making it all worth the effort (I have read one guy is on his 3rd plastic pedal/master cylinder combo!!!). I'm so itchen to get my T56 in!

Enjoy.

P.S. If anyone want's a plastic pedal assembly, I will be putting the one I'm using as my model up for sale. It's brand new and has only been used as a guide. It has never even been installed into my truck.
Attached Thumbnails How I'm solving the plastic clutch pedal issue.-img_1118.jpg   How I'm solving the plastic clutch pedal issue.-img_1119.jpg   How I'm solving the plastic clutch pedal issue.-img_1120.jpg   How I'm solving the plastic clutch pedal issue.-img_1121.jpg  

Last edited by 2001CamaroGuy; 07-05-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like some bulletproof stuff!!!
Old 07-06-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Here are some shots of what the pedal arm will look like. I'll fully weld and grind the arm tomorrow morning when it's cooler outside (welding in 110 heat with heavy leather on is not too fun lol). Hopefully I'll get the bearings from McMaster tomorrow so I can machine up the pivot. Also ordered a longer pushrod for the master cylinder (6" vs the Wilwood's 4").
Attached Thumbnails How I'm solving the plastic clutch pedal issue.-img_1122.jpg   How I'm solving the plastic clutch pedal issue.-img_1123.jpg   How I'm solving the plastic clutch pedal issue.-img_1124.jpg   How I'm solving the plastic clutch pedal issue.-img_1125.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Jesse TG (05-28-2020)
Old 07-08-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats what im talking about. so is the pedal from a 98 truck or is it only based on it, i mean did you weld the pieces to form the pedal or did you just modify it. i dont know if youre willing to make some of these and sell them. i could buy a few.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sowaidi
thats what im talking about. so is the pedal from a 98 truck or is it only based on it, i mean did you weld the pieces to form the pedal or did you just modify it. i dont know if youre willing to make some of these and sell them. i could buy a few.
I went to the dealership and got the pedal bracket and arm from a 1998 Silverado. I then cut and modified these part to make them work in my 04 Silverado.

I'll tell you this much, when I'm done with this one, I'll be GLAD I'm enjoying building this one but I can't imagine what I'd have to charge to make another one. Just the factory parts were $100 so add bearings, a master cylinder, the steel braided line, etc. and the costs for parts, steel, gas, time, etc. would be $500+. Additionally it's just so much time. I'd need to build jigs to get any kind of consistent product. I just think by the time I put everything into it, to make it worth my effort the price I'd have to charge would be so much nobody would want to pay it. I am however very willing to provide the pictures and my experience to help others if they wish to undertake this adventure. As I said, I'm enjoying seeing this one come together, kind of like an artist enjoys seeing their painting come together. But, like an artist, I don't want to "paint" the same picture twice.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Veteran

And it's done, in, mounted, and I'm ready to go do the tranny swap. I went with ball bearings on the axle bolt and what a slick piece. When hanging if I push it (no master hooked up), it oscillates for a good 30seconds or more....talk about NO FRICTION! This should be a big help as I'm trying to run a 7/8" bore master rather than the factory 3/4" bore.
Attached Thumbnails How I'm solving the plastic clutch pedal issue.-img_1126.jpg   How I'm solving the plastic clutch pedal issue.-img_1127.jpg   How I'm solving the plastic clutch pedal issue.-img_1128.jpg   How I'm solving the plastic clutch pedal issue.-img_1129.jpg   How I'm solving the plastic clutch pedal issue.-img_1130.jpg  

Old 07-15-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Veteran

More pics. I'm waiting on the master cylinder pushrod to come back from being platted this after noon (I have a shop that does chrome platting for me for next to nothing so it make a good durable rust preventive). I'll post final pictures when the master is all hooked up.

note: the pedals are even height, the angle of the picture combined with the clutch pedal not being adjusted out yet makes it look off
Attached Thumbnails How I'm solving the plastic clutch pedal issue.-img_1131.jpg   How I'm solving the plastic clutch pedal issue.-img_1134.jpg   How I'm solving the plastic clutch pedal issue.-img_1135.jpg   How I'm solving the plastic clutch pedal issue.-img_1136.jpg  
Old 05-03-2016, 06:04 AM
On The Tree

I know this is an old thread, but it inspired me to build my own steel bracket, and install a wilwood master. I plan on occasionally drag racing my truck, and randomly beating the snot out of it. The factory plastic assembly was broken, and I replaced it with a new factory master, and pedal assembly. After having it out, and replacing it, I knew it was going to have to be upgraded. I can not believe that the engineers thought it was a good idea. It must have been "good enough to outlive the warranty" day in the design shop when they decided on that one.

I went a little different route than you, and I made patterns out of the factory bracket, and then fabbed my own up out of 3/16 steel plate, and welded it all together. The master will arrive tomorrow, and I need to get the pedal assembly. Do you happen to have a part number on the one that you got? Ill probably get one from a scrap yard, as its a total long shot that the dealer still has any in the system.

I will post pictures up in a few days as I progress with this!
Old 05-03-2016, 09:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Hi, sorry I don't have any of that data laying around anymore. All I can say is it was from a 1998 silverado. Ebay might work as well.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

after doing some research, I am going to use a brake pedal from a manual transmission 1968 camaro. Already pre bent to set it over, and its $68 from summit with the clutch pedal.

Quick Reply: How I'm solving the plastic clutch pedal issue.