Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

How I'm solving the plastic clutch pedal issue.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the pedal assembly in, and it looks like I will have to lengthen it about 4". Other than that, its looking like it will line up perfectly with no extra bending, and it rides on a 5/8" shaft, and comes with bushings. Ill post up photos of the finished unit when I get a chance.... Getting married next friday, so time is a little scarce!
Old 06-20-2016, 06:52 AM
On The Tree

here is what I have come up with so far. I am headed to the local speed shop today to get the heim I need to connect the pedal to the master, then I will reinstall and determine where to drill the holes for the cross shaft to mount the pedal on. Once that is set, then I will lengthen the pedal arm, and get the pedal mounted where it needs to be.

The next big thing after that will be figuring out what to do about the clutch safety switch. I would like to use the stock one, but I may go to an aftermarket micro switch. I will post updates!

Old 11-16-2016, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

SLOPONY, curious how the 68 Camaro pedal turned out? Looking at doing the manual swap on my truck but am still undecided due to the weak clutch assembly and fire wall.

Did either of you reinforce or stiffen the fire wall in any way? I have read threads of them splitting under enough clutch force when using very stiff aftermarket performance clutches/pressure plates.

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2016, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Since you have a much smaller footprint on the metal part i wonder if it will require all that dash work needed with the plastic ASM.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Since you have a much smaller footprint on the metal part i wonder if it will require all that dash work needed with the plastic ASM.
What dash work are you referencing? I don't recall reading about dash modifications to mount the factory clutch pedal?
Old 05-22-2017, 12:45 PM

Default Wich wilwood master cylinder

Hi 2001camaroguy i want to know wich wilwood master cylinder you put on? I wanna put a modified wilwood pedal with a wilwood master cylinder for my 2006 zf6 duramax.. To much master cylinder to choose. I know my stock master cylinder have 0.888 cube inches ans no one wilwood have exactly 0.88 only 0.87 or 0.97
Old 05-25-2017, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 53bowtie
What dash work are you referencing? I don't recall reading about dash modifications to mount the factory clutch pedal?
You have to pull quite a bunch of the dash apart to get the pedal in and out. I had to pull the entire dash out to create mounting points as my vehicle did not come with a stick.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:09 PM

Default Hey

[QUOTE=2001CamaroGuy;4493762]I have attached a few pictures of my current progress on my custom clutch pedal for my truck.

It's based on the 1998 clutch pedal assembly (the older stuff is nolonger available from the dealership). I used the pedal bracket and arm as my basis and went from there.

I cut the firewall face of the bracket off and welded up a new face that would provide bolts/studs for my Wilwood master cylinder to mount to. I also made a plate that goes on the engine compartment side of the firewall that severs two purposes, to strengthen and to make the holes more precise. Yesterday I had the whole assembly (bracket and master) mounted in the truck and it fits like it could have been factory installed.

The master had to be machined down and a 6AN fitting welded in place of the "reservoir cup" in order to clear the throttle control box/module. The clutch line is a leftover from my camaro and comes from the McLeod master cylinder that was on it. I'll need to simply get a short line to extend it and it will clip directly into the factory f-body slave. I'm going tomorrow to get the factory remote reservoir from an f-body clutch master to use on this setup.

The steel pedal arm has been cut up drastically (will post pictures after I'm finished with it). I'm making it exactly resemble the plastic pedal's routing in order to clear the junction boxes under the dash. Just need a piece of steel bar to finish it up tomorrow.

Overall, the project it going along quite nicely. I ordered a set of ball bearings from McMaster that I'm going to use on the pivot in place of the factory plastic sleeve. This will provide for a much smoother pedal feel over the greased bolt. It's being a lot of work but knowing I'll NEVER have to replace any of these parts ever again is making it all worth the effort (I have read one guy is on his 3rd plastic pedal/master cylinder combo!!!). I'm so itchen to get my

I need one for a 2000 Chevy
Old 05-28-2020, 10:14 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse TG
I need one for a 2000 Chevy
reach out to Atomic. he makes metal brackets.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:13 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

https://atomicfabandperformance.com/...nting-bracket/

Quick Reply: How I'm solving the plastic clutch pedal issue.