Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Help! Shackles installed...but no instructions for pinion shims!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Help! Shackles installed...but no instructions for pinion shims!

Had a friend recently install 2-inch Belltech drop shackles (kit# 6400) on my 05 ECSB 2WD Silverado to level it out. It looks great, but vibrates badly from 5mph-30mph and again from 45-65mph.

I didn't buy the pinion shim kit up front because I've heard that the vibration is hit or miss. Well, I didn't get lucky this time. Well, my pinion shim kit came in yesterday (Belltech kit# 4975), but had NO instructions with it whatsoever.

Can someone tell me how to install these or point me in the right direction? I got no response from Belltech customer service, no usable help from the website I ordered it from, and couldn't find anything using a search on here or GMFS.

One side has 3 indentions, which are visible on the one on the right. These are 2 degree shims. The end with the 2 end pieces is "fat", and tapers off slowly towards the solid end.

Please help!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:13 PM
formerly b4vwannabe (2/4/2012)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't think you'd have any pinion angle issues with just shackles in the rear, but based on the symptoms, it sounds like the pinion angle is up.
loosen the ubolts, install the shims between the leaf springs & axle. the thick end of the shim needs to go toward the rear of the truck. I don't think you'll need the bolts they sent with them.

I've got a flip kit & c notch on mine & my pinion angle was 8* up. I put in 6* shims & that fixed my vibration issues
Old 06-28-2011, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the tip. Several people have told me the fat part goes towards the front. Are you sure about that? Anyone else know about this?
Old 06-28-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

On vehicles without a flip kit the fat end should be toward the front to bring the nose of the diff down.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Help! Shackles installed...but no instructions for pinion shims!-yweam.jpg
Old 06-29-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

Nice illustration! Everything is stock except for the shackles. No flip kit. What's the proper pinion angle supposed to be?
Old 06-29-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Good luck with this as I got rid of my old 05' ECSB VMax due to not being able to lower the *** end with just a shackle drop like you are using.
I too was plagued with the vibration grimlins. Nothing remedied the issue.
I placed the 2* shims in with the fat side towards the front of the truck per Beltechs instructions and customer service tips.
Nothing would take all the vibrations out. I purchased 1* to 4* shims and tried them all. No fix. All shims were also used with the fat end towards the rear. No fix.
I even removed both driveshaft pieces and took it to a shop to have the U-joints replaced and both shafts balanced. No fix.
I even had all the angles measured with a digital angle finder by a driveshaft company. They inputted the info into a computer program and they told me what to change. I did what they told me to do, and still...no fix. They remeasured everything after my changes and told me that where the angles are sitting at, it should not be vibrating. But it did.
I even took it to two different reputable custom shops where they lower and raise trucks everyday.
Both shops tried to fix the problem but could not.
I did have the last shop inform me that they have had a few rare 1500 Chevy trucks ECSB models that acted the same as mine and could never get rid of all the vibrations.
They even performed the carrier bearing relocate modification on my truck and still could not get the vibrations to go away.
I even measured the perpendicular orientation of the rear axle in comparison to the transmission. If you do not, you could have not only up and down angles that are off, but left and right angles to add to it that could be throwing everything off. This was Beltechs last shot at helping to fix the vibrations. I didnt only speak to a customer service rep, but I actually was able to speak to one of their mechanics that do the actual installs at their CA location.

What I'm getting at is, I hope you dont have one of those trucks that just do not like to be lowered. Mine was one of those!! I got rid of it in 2007 and have yet returned to the truck scene nor the modification scene. I spent over 5 months trying to fix it and several thousand dollars between all the shops I went to and parts.
So I stripped the truck down and returned it to stock. Vibrations went away and so did the truck. It only had 26K miles on it when I got rid of it. It was hard to do, but a relief at the same time. I miss it but dont at the same time.
I wish you all the luck with this man. I pray your luck isnt like mine!

Jim
Old 06-29-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Junkie

If the 2* shims dont work, try a 1* or 3* shim with the fat end towards the front.
I think the 2* shims should do it for ya!
Are you doing the shims or is someone else? If you are I can tell you what you will have to do to replace the center pin that goes through the leafs.

Jim
Old 06-29-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
If the 2* shims dont work, try a 1* or 3* shim with the fat end towards the front.
I think the 2* shims should do it for ya!
Are you doing the shims or is someone else? If you are I can tell you what you will have to do to replace the center pin that goes through the leafs.

Jim
Wow, scary story! My vibration isn't THAT bad. Someone else will likely help me do the shims. The shim kit came with replacement center pins...they are in the first post's picture. I've had more people tell me that the fat end needs to go towards the back. Not sure what I'll do. We'll probably try it both ways, and see which looks correct.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:08 PM
Man Motor club

If your pinion angle is too high, placing the shims with the thick part to the rear will nose it down, fixing the vibration. If that's your problem, the solution is simple. However, if your pinion angle was off in the other direction, you would reverse the shim to raise the pinion angle. Got it?
The following users liked this post:
TrevorH (12-27-2017)

Quick Reply: Help! Shackles installed...but no instructions for pinion shims!