Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Ceramic Pad Material Warps Rotors Faster ?

Old 03-12-2012, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Ceramic Pad Material Warps Rotors Faster ?

I'm looking for an alternate pad material.

They made brake improvements in 2005 and under heavy braking they will warp pretty fast.

I never thought about it much until I got a 2002 Dodge minivan. I did a brake job and put ceramics and new rotors up front and MAN, the 1st time I had to hit them they warped so bad it felt like the steering wheel was going to break.

Went back to the parts counter and complained the rotors were cheap-o's. He replaced them but assured me not to run the ceramics. He told me it will happen again if I do. He was right. I reversed it and it stopped.

If you were not going to run ceramics, what would you run. I am running the OE pads.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:29 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I run the highest quality semi-metallic pads available for the specific application.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
I run the highest quality semi-metallic pads available for the specific application.
Can you give me brand names you like?

Thanks
Old 03-12-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive been running the wagner thermo quiets(ceramic version) on the front and rear of my truck for over 40k miles and no warpage.. ive even locked them up twice on the asphalt and they still brake just as smooth as the day i put them on there.. all ive ever ran on my truck are the ceramic wagner thermo quiets.. thats all i use if i do brake jobs for other people as well.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks,

I'm running the OE pads on Raybestos Advanced Technology Rotors.

In 05 GM contracted Bosch to improve the braking, and swapping to drums on the rear was in that mix. I'll say I was skeptical but the vehicle really stops very well.
The rotors went larger too.

Mine warp under hard braking as in I am doing an interstate burst and my Radar detector or laser jammer screams.
Thing is it rarely happens I do this but I am stuck after with a little vibration when braking in a little bit of an aggressive situation.

I want to try a different brake material. I think ceramics toss the heat to the rotor in comparison to semi metallic. I guess I'm looking for a quality name in a semi-metallic pad.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:25 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have a Carquest in your area?
Old 03-13-2012, 06:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only run ceramic on my trucks. When I looked up pads by application on my 99 it showed it came with ceramic pads from day one and I'm sure it did. Ceramic pads seem to last longer, make next to no dust and seem to work better. My rotors are still smooth as glass at 165,000 miles. I put ceramic pads all the way around on the 95 and use them hard and still no warpage.

You didn't get those $8.99 rotors from Napa did you?
Old 03-13-2012, 07:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+ 1 on the thermo quiets by wagner ! they are the best !
Old 03-13-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ceramic pads are not installed for "performance" reasons...OEMs only use them to limit brake dust and noise. I have never installed ceramics on a vehicle and been impressed with their stopping power. I have tried many brands, including Auto Zone, Raybestos, Wagner, posi quiet, and Akebono (these were the best IMO). They just aren't for me. There are plenty who swear by them, but ask yourself this...does Chevrolet install ceramic pads on the Corvette (not talking high dollar ZR1 brakes here)? No, they install dusty *** carbon metallic pads, because they stop the best. Cadillac CTS-V, TBSS, and Grand Prix GXP are just a few more examples of dusty stock pads that stop better than ceramics. Need more proof, take a look at an AMG Mercedes...the wheels are always dirty.

I have been using Hawk HPS and their equivalent SUV pads lately, and have been happy. Sure they dust a bit, but they also have a nice initial bite when the brake pedal is pushed.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
Ceramic pads are not installed for "performance" reasons...OEMs only use them to limit brake dust and noise. I have never installed ceramics on a vehicle and been impressed with their stopping power. I have tried many brands, including Auto Zone, Raybestos, Wagner, posi quiet, and Akebono (these were the best IMO). They just aren't for me. There are plenty who swear by them, but ask yourself this...does Chevrolet install ceramic pads on the Corvette (not talking high dollar ZR1 brakes here)? No, they install dusty *** carbon metallic pads, because they stop the best. Cadillac CTS-V, TBSS, and Grand Prix GXP are just a few more examples of dusty stock pads that stop better than ceramics. Need more proof, take a look at an AMG Mercedes...the wheels are always dirty.
Thanks, Basically, Truthfully, I have a Radix on my truck with 3:42 gears and sometimes on I-75 I let her eat.
I have a great working (Long Gone Out of Business) Lidatek laser jammer and a nice Passport 9500ix.
Sometimes I have to haul her down in a hurry and they warp. Plain and simple. Not bad but if in the city and a driver cuts me off and I have to use em I am reminded.

So I am looking to see if non-ceramics will be as fast to warp or not. I am going to do the test and am checking in here with you guys for brand names and such. "Love This Place."

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Do you have a Carquest in your area?
Yes, What do you have........?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ceramic Pad Material Warps Rotors Faster ?