Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Ceramic Pad Material Warps Rotors Faster ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 11:29 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats the huge deal on this thread? Even decent metali pads will not be as bad as you think. Pads have came a very long way. Ceramic pads are nice, but not the best in all app's. If you got a good metali pad you will be fine. I run them with aluminum wheels. hardly no dust.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

No huge deal, if you already know it all, or are not impressed by the content, just unsubscribe to the thread and move on to greener pastures.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive been looking around for some new pads that help stop better. i got some ceramic raybestos on now and hearing the wear sensor just slightly after 17k miles. i mainly drive city now and i need something that can slow me down a lot quicker lol. friend pointed out either hawk pads or slotted/dimpled rotors and premium semi-metallic pads from brakeperformance. for 250 bucks at brakeperformance idk might be worth it. but my dad told me i should go ceramic so i dont deal with squeaking and whatnot. those police version raybestos only ran you 100 bucks?
Old 03-18-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fortplainman
ive been looking around for some new pads that help stop better. i got some ceramic raybestos on now and hearing the wear sensor just slightly after 17k miles. i mainly drive city now and i need something that can slow me down a lot quicker lol. friend pointed out either hawk pads or slotted/dimpled rotors and premium semi-metallic pads from brakeperformance. for 250 bucks at brakeperformance idk might be worth it. but my dad told me i should go ceramic so i dont deal with squeaking and whatnot. those police version raybestos only ran you 100 bucks?

17k Eh? I got 30K out of the stockers on my 05 and I'm hard on em. What year truck you talking?

I paid $57.27 shipped to GA at Rockauto.com. Have not put them on yet.

Keep in mind I am not looking for more stopping power or longer lasting, I am researching a pad that will be less apt to warp the rotors under hard breaking from 100+mph.

I am hoping to stumble into and get that and more in these police duty pads. the Raybestos tech tole me they are designed for pursuit applications.
There are also those who believe the Ceramics will not absorb heat like the Metallics thus the rotor taking the brunt of the heat.

I dunno, I just know I warp em when the Radar detection devices go off and I am playing. So I am going to try the Advanced Technology Rotor and Police organic pads and find out if I get any relief.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well stockers i got 29k out of when my truck was in stock form. mainly from doing 140ish after my black bear tune and then braking hard to 70 before i got to a known cop hide out. but since being lifted on 35's ive mainly driven city this past year and its done hell on my brakes lol. my truck is in my sig, 07 nnbs on 6 inch lift and 35's. i think its because i havent check my drums at all, the drum is rusted solid. ive beaten it the living hell outta it and wouldnt budge and dont have a torch. think they must be outta wack to eat pads in 17k miles. it just feels like i need to put like 3/4 brake petal to get decent stopping lately from like 50-0. just looking for opinions.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hear you. I don't see your truck specs in your sig tho. I see some kind of add.

Yeh, big tires and up high is major.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK, old thread here and I never came back about the police pads. I am back searching something rotor friendly because the Raybestos Police pursuit pads destroy rotors. Its fine if you don't have slots or drilled but try and find one who will turn drilled rotors.

About performance, they are the best stopping and the hardest pad to make fade I have ever used. RV owners love them on the steep down hill mountains that can make you soil your shorts if you have crap pads.
The dust is nasty and if you go long periods without washing it off it will embed and you will need a specialty cleaner to remove it like EagleOne wheel and tire cleaner.
The wear they put on a rotor is like a Ripple potato chip as in ripples.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:21 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by therock
OK, old thread here and I never came back about the police pads. I am back searching something rotor friendly because the Raybestos Police pursuit pads destroy rotors. Its fine if you don't have slots or drilled but try and find one who will turn drilled rotors.

About performance, they are the best stopping and the hardest pad to make fade I have ever used. RV owners love them on the steep down hill mountains that can make you soil your shorts if you have crap pads.
The dust is nasty and if you go long periods without washing it off it will embed and you will need a specialty cleaner to remove it like EagleOne wheel and tire cleaner.
The wear they put on a rotor is like a Ripple potato chip as in ripples.
i started reading thread, gave up after seeing date, to skip to end to see why it was refreshed..... have you tried a higher carbon rotor? With a mid grade pad that doesn’t dust like mad or throw sparks being so hard

I’m on two years, on 05 rotors high carbon, with some mid grade true stops- dust is not bad, stops well, I tow heavy stuff often - rotors are not warped - it’s been about 25k miles

Last edited by trxmxzx; 08-19-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I guess what I learned if you want an aggressive pursuit or racing pad you can plan on replacing or turning rotors, so if not on a racing budget get decent carbon content one I guess.
So I like your point.
Thanks