Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e with transgo hd2 shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 4l80e with transgo hd2 shift kit

hey guys i have a qeustion for u all. I installed a trango hd 2 shift kit about two weeks ago. Now, i cant seem to make it hold first until i command it to shift. What do u all think is the problem. thanks.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I'm a little confused on your issue. Are you saying it will not go into first or is it slipping in first gear? If you are having second or third gear starts from a stop I would check for codes. In some cases a trouble code will make the trans start in these gears because of another issue.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

no lol. i cant make it hold first until i command it to shift into second. This was the main reason i installed this shift kit. It shifts through the gears fine. NOthing wrong with that.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you mean if you have the shift level in 1st it shifts out of 1st?
Old 12-30-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

yes exactly. Just as if it was a stock untouched 60/80e trans. Is there a way to fix this problem? i do alot of street racing and this would be really benificial.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My 80 does the same thing. Sucks when you are doing a low roll race and wanna hold first gear. 2nd gear will hold as long as you want it to though..
Old 12-30-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

yeah i know. this thing makes so much power that i would like to have some control of it from a dig. Just almost impossible. Anyone else have any input on this situation?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:13 PM

Depending on how fast you are going and the way your computer is programmed this can be normal. At speeds over 35mph in manual low your computer will keep the 1-2 shift solenoid de-energized. This will keep the trans in 2nd gear until speeds are below 35mph and when the computer grounds the 1-2 solenoid. Now I would think that this could be manipulated with some tuning to correct this condition. The earlier TG kits I do not think this was an issue because part of the HD-2 kit had a full gear command feature. This step in the early kit directions said it was ok to skip. The issue with full control is if you are going to fast and hit manual low you could potentially do damage to your vehile or person!!!!!To verify that this is happening look to see if both shift solenoids are off when this happens. HTH Vince

Last edited by Vince B; 12-31-2011 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Added info in bold print!
Old 12-30-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

well nelson performance tunes my truck, so theres not really any way to watch it. The only thing that had me worried about somethin maybe being wrong was bc of what i read about the hd2 correcting this problem. Geuss i was wrong. I also, talked to jakes performance and they said this kit will not correct this issue. Says i can maybe fix it with the tune. Has anyone tried to solve this with tuning?
Old 12-31-2011, 09:20 AM

Just want to clarify my post above. You should be able to see what I was talking about with any scan tool that has transmission data. I know I can see this with my old snap on brick scanner. What you are looking for is to see if both shift solenoids are commanded off and the shifter is in manual low when you feel you have an issue with your transmission. If when in manual low you see this and you are really in second gear this is normal because of the factory programming.

As stated above once the computer see's a VSS reading below 35 mph then it will fire the 1-2 solenoid and you should have first gear in manual low. Pretty sure the factory programed this for safety purposes but as I mention I would think that it could be manipulated in the tune if I had to guess. This info about the factory programing came out of a GM hydra-matic book and 35 mph was used for a reference. I would think that some vehicles will be different depending on factory axle ratios or tire heights.

Do yourself a favor and look into the transmission data to see if there is an issue with your trans or if the computer is whats over riding the trans. If this is tthe case then your trans is fine. From there I would get with Allen to see if he can adjust the computer to correct your complaint. Please let us know what you come up with here. TIA Vince

Last edited by Vince B; 12-31-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Quick Reply: 4l80e with transgo hd2 shift kit