FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

Dual pump build ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 12:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crashmymax
Building a dual pump setup anyway as well as running new -8 lines for feed and return plus wiring. Only thing I would be adding is a the surge tank.
Ahhh i just watched the video.... Now i see that it returns to the surge tank... then returns to the gas tank. Nevermind, carry on....

P.S. I like this also. Yea its extra money but i drive my truck 260 miles to work one way... Right now i dont stop for gas until i get there... After i swap to a dual setup i would have to fuel up sooner. Especially if i swap to e85. What's a few hundred bucks up front to be able to have peace of mind and not worry about fuel starvation.

My cons
1. I am going to use my factory return fuel lines so i would run new fuel lines with this set up....
2. If the tank pump gives out then it's down. With 2 intank pumps, i can run low boost and still drive the truck on the second pump if one goes out.

Last edited by 03chevytruck; 06-17-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 03chevytruck
Ahhh i just watched the video.... Now i see that it returns to the surge tank... then returns to the gas tank. Nevermind, carry on....

P.S. I like this also. Yea its extra money but i drive my truck 260 miles to work one way... Right now i dont stop for gas until i get there... After i swap to a dual setup i would have to fuel up sooner. Especially if i swap to e85. What's a few hundred bucks up front to be able to have peace of mind and not worry about fuel starvation.

My cons
1. I am going to use my factory return fuel lines so i would run new fuel lines with this set up....
2. If the tank pump gives out then it's down. With 2 intank pumps, i can run low boost and still drive the truck on the second pump if one goes out.
Pump failure is an issue for sure but as long as they dont go out at WOT I dont think you have to worry about melting a piston. In your case you will have on pump running full time and one coming on at low boost so if the one running full time goes you will still be left stranded untill you rewire the second one to come on full time. I think.

I want to get some input from someone running a surge tank to see how well it works.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:32 AM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

How many internal pump failures have y'all seen? I've seen one external pump on my dodge fail. This case was clearly a design flaw in the system. The dodge Cummins had pumps on the back side of the motor pulling from the tank. They dont support that pump at the dodge house any more and have to do a conversion to an in tank set-up. I guess what I'm getting at, if your system is up to the task, your not going to over work it and the pump failure rate is extremely minimal if your not cavitating it. I believe this is starting to get over thought a little. Get those pumps and Venturi in there somehow and run it.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

I decided to go the surge tank route just don't want to worry about fuel levels all the time.
What do you guys think will be a good mounting location?

Old 08-11-2017, 05:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

Nice unit.

How big is it? There is nothing in the picture to reference size. We can't give you ideas where to put it without knowing how big it is.

My home made one is mounted in the front left of the bed, near the fuel tank pump. That was easiest for me to reroute the lines from the tank, out through the frame rail, up between the bed and outer body, and then through holes in the side of the bed.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

MPFST Dimensions

Body Outside Diameter: 6 inches
Height (not including fittings): 8.9 inches
Mounting base bolt circle diameter: 6.5 inches
Mounting base maximum outside diameter: 7.1 inches
Working internal fluid volume (with 2 pumps): 2.0 liters
Old 08-11-2017, 06:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

I would say under the truck on the frame where (on my truck, anyhow) the stock fuel filter is. Unless you live in the rust belt. It still looks sturdy enough to mount there anyway. Really, it seems small enough that you could mount it wherever is easiest for you to run the lines.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Thats cool! Are you keeping that nice dual pump setup?

Id mount if on the frame rail in front of the tank too. Make a bracket and weld/bolt it to the frame.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

I just need the pumps out of the dual setup. so will cut it up. It wasn't that much more then just the pumps so not to big of a loss.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 403 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by crashmymax
I figured it would save me the hassle of building the Y and the pumps are already secured some. Also only a little more then the pumps themselves cost. Not sure where im going with this yet.
https://www.maperformance.com/produc...FZu3wAodRdsJ5w
I'm going grab a set of these! Appreciate the link...

Quick Reply: Dual pump build ?