FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

Dual pump build ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 12:21 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by crashmymax
Hey thanks for the reply I read through your thread. Why did you stay returnless? My truck is an 09 flex so same sending unit you used. I may send you a pm or 2 for help when I start moding the unit.
I stayed returnless because no one else does lol! I think there are a lot of advantages to having a returnless system WITH PWM. Less lines, clutter, use smaller GM injectors, etc. I figure, GM went that route for a reason and use it on everything from a Cruz up to the ZR1. For someone who already has a flex fuel truck and a FSCM that is supported in HPTuners, it is a lot cheaper too. 100.00 for the pump kit and 48.00 for the license to program the FSCM.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:26 PM
Un-Registered User

Originally Posted by Atomic
Most newer aftermarket pumps have internal check valves, so you shouldnt have to worry about loosing prime that easily (the walbro 400s and 450 do anyway).

Do not cut the outer bucket, leave it intact. You can drive below half a tank, just dont go ape **** doing hard accelerations. Generally if you leave the bucket intact and have the return (yes even returnless systems have a "return") going inside the bucket you should be ok to 1/4 tank or so.
You are correct. The reason I mentioned the check valve is because Smokeshows write up has a "T" in the pressure line to go to the Venturi and believe he had an issue with pressure drain. This would work "if" the line had a check valve.

On a side note, can you sticky my write up?
Old 05-28-2017, 12:27 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Its mainly due to emissions. Returnless systems do not have fuel circulating through the hot engine bay and back to the tank so there are not as many fumes and vapors to deal with. The typical drawback is not having a reference to raise pressure with boost, but the FPCM can solve this somewhat by ramping up voltage.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

started taking my sending unit apart but does not look like others I have seen. Need some help identifying parts I need and don't need.

The pump itself has some plastic stuff attached to the bottom of it wondering if I need to keep it. What is the metal can that the pump sits inside of? The pump fills it up then it exits out to the fuel line. Is it just part of the factory regulator setup? Is it the filter?

Last edited by crashmymax; 05-30-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:36 PM
Un-Registered User

That is definitely one of the aftermarket sending units I tried to stay clear of in my endeavor. What fills the bucket? Any better pics of the bottom of the white bucket? That white plastic piece on the bottom of the pump is definitely a Venturi of some sort. Better pics of said plastic thingy and what was connected to it? Seems like the Venturi fills the can but trying to understand how the bucket gets filled.

Last edited by mcfarlnd; 05-30-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mcfarlnd
That is definitely one of the aftermarket sending units I tried to stay clear of in my endeavor. What fills the bucket? Any better pics of the bottom of the white bucket? That white plastic piece on the bottom of the pump is definitely a Venturi of some sort. Better pics of said plastic thingy and what was connected to it? Seems like the Venturi fills the can but trying to understand how the bucket gets filled.
Pretty sure its a factory unit. They pulled it right out of a truck at the salvage yard. It also has a made in mexico sticker on it. I will post more pics tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

Looks like its from a 2009 6.2L found the ac delco part looks just like what i have.
https://www.autopartsway.com/part.cf...fym2waodvqugcg
Old 05-31-2017, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

More pics. Is the piece attached to the bottom of the pump the venture setup?

Old 06-01-2017, 06:59 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like a Venturi system to me but i don't know a whole lot about that 07+ Fuel buckets.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by XBlackXCheavyX
It looks like a Venturi system to me but i don't know a whole lot about that 07+ Fuel buckets.
Once I get the new pumps ill see if its possible to attach it to one of them and make sure its the one that runs all the time.

Quick Reply: Dual pump build ?