FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

turbo oil return, what kind of pump???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

I really am just fed up with the whole thing. I feel like just starting over with a crate motor. I've spent SO much money and still have problems.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hang in there man. We've all been there before. See if they can at least make it right for you. I doubt you PI converter ballooned given the billet cover/plate.

How do you know it was bearing material? Did you have the oil analyzed or did the shop just think it was bearing material?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

My friend that is an old school hot rodder and mechanic pulled the pan and he said there's no mistaking it bearing material. Huge shavings.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Launching!

thought I would add some info for the OP.

A friend of mine told me about Mocal Oil Pump from Racer Parts Wholesale. It's about $180.00 and rated for hot engine oil. He used it on his remote mount turbo on his truck. He's had it for about a year, without any issues.
I think the turbo drain is very important to keeping the turbo seals in check.

Recently I bought a Mocal pump and have been using it on my Diesel Camaro project. Only about 6 hours run time. So far, so good.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, if the main fuse blows for the oil pump... the Buzzer doesnt get power
Im goin to rewire my kit one day.. along with another pump when i get around to it..
Old 02-13-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
so you are telling me that I hooked the pump, alarm, and everything that goes with it wrong? I am virtually positive I have installed more sts, kits than most and have not had one alarm quit working.

Now, that being said I could not hear the alarm over my stereo in the truck, and it was night time. So who knows how long it was before I noticed it.

I will take any system that is fool proof over that *** turbo any day of the week.

Bottom line, a **** poor designed system, a **** poor alarm, and **** poor customer service when I asked if they would warranty the pump and they told me no.

out one pump 200 bucks and one motor 4000. NEXT.
I bought my sts kit used and it did not come with an buzzard. Went up to radioshack and bought a car alarm type buzzard and I tested it with the stereo loud and blarrin and had no problems hearing. Plus I dont crank my stereo up that much. Kinda like to hear what the truck and surrounding noises are doin.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:02 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
I said I would repost when I knew more. There is bearing material in the pan. The oil was still clean but there are fingernail sized shavings in the pan. Erik at HKE said they don't warranty any power adder engines at all but they would help me out the most they could. He also said many power adder autos eat the thrust bearing depending on the converter used? It was supposed to be built for a power adder. Is this normal for all builders? Not trashing, just asking.
Sorry to hear that man -- and sorry it's taken me a while to get back here.

That is what I suspected

I've never heard that about the thrust bearings -- at least not that "power adder" automatics do this routinely

What kind of bearings?
Old 02-13-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Also, if the main fuse blows for the oil pump... the Buzzer doesnt get power
Im goin to rewire my kit one day.. along with another pump when i get around to it..
The oil alarm buzzer is powered by the switched 12 volt source so the buzzer will work even if the STS wiring harness fuse blows.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:03 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
Erik, who build your first engine? the one the cam bearings failed in? Again, I would have to agree, the oil system is the part I worry most about...
A local drag race builder (in Orlando at the time).
Old 02-13-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo 6.0
The oil alarm buzzer is powered by the switched 12 volt source so the buzzer will work even if the STS wiring harness fuse blows.
not on the kit i worked on.. unless somebody hooked it up wrong..

Quick Reply: turbo oil return, what kind of pump???