FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

turbo oil return, what kind of pump???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
Sorry to hear that man -- and sorry it's taken me a while to get back here.

That is what I suspected

I've never heard that about the thrust bearings -- at least not that "power adder" automatics do this routinely

What kind of bearings?
I was never given the build sheet although I asked for it on 2 occasions. I understand everybody has too much on their plate usually. I'll try to find out.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
not on the kit i worked on.. unless somebody hooked it up wrong..
All of the harnesses the STS has produced shared this one simularity so the system you worked on might have had a harness built by the installer. There is really no way to hook it up wrong either as the fused lead is a constant power and the blue wire is a trigger to both power the oil pump relay and the oil alarm buzzer.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo 6.0
the fused lead is a constant power and the blue wire is a trigger to both power the oil pump relay and the oil alarm buzzer.

IIRC, the wire that gets hooked to the battery has an in-line fuse. This is the ONLY wire that connects to the the + side of the battery. Therefore if the fuse goes, you lose power to your whole system. To say a fused lead is a constant power is misleading.

I remember the fuel pump wire being tapped, but I doubt that powers the oil pump since you don't want to run two pumps on one fuse and relay.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
IIRC, the wire that gets hooked to the battery has an in-line fuse. This is the ONLY wire that connects to the the + side of the battery. Therefore if the fuse goes, you lose power to your whole system. To say a fused lead is a constant power is misleading.

I remember the fuel pump wire being tapped, but I doubt that powers the oil pump since you don't want to run two pumps on one fuse and relay.
The wire that taps into the fuel pump does not run the oil return pump. It is simply the trigger wire that switched the relay which allows the wire going to the oil pump to be powered. The red wire is constant power since it is hookid to the positive side of the battery. The power gets dead headed at the relay until the fuel pump wire switches the relay. The oil alarm buzzer is hooked directly to te fuel pump wire on the truck witch is fused by the factory fuse box. So if the fuse in the STS harness blows the oil buzzer still has power and grond whitch is triggered by the 3psi switch on the inlet side of the oil pump.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:03 AM
12 Second Club

Question

I've been wondering if it would be a bad idea to use something like a dry-sump oil pump to suck oil from the turbo? They are capable of pulling a pretty strong vacuum. It would only work when the engine is on and even at idle they have the ability to pull a strong vacuum. You wouldn't have to worry about any wiring issues whatsoever. They aren't cheap, but neither is a good electric oil pump, the wiring, warning buzzers and lights, etc. They are very dependable also. There are kits for mounting dry-sump pumps on LSx engines, but they may need to be modified for a truck.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

I take it nobody has thought about doing that yet?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AdioSS
I take it nobody has thought about doing that yet?
I think it would be worth a try.